Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding in public is frustrating

Default Feeding in public is frustrating

My 3 mo seems to hate eating in public. I use a nursing cover that we can see each other through. He just fusses the entire time and only eats about half the time as without the cover up. The other day I tried to use a blanket instead to see if it was the cover specifically and that just made him furious. Also... when away from home I sit his bottom on my lap and he is leaned back toward my breast (kind of a modified cradle hold I guess) which might make him uncomfortable??? At home I use the boppy (cross cradle hold) all day and I feel like he just stubbornly wants things the same way every time. Anyone else have this problem? Do they grow out of this? Any suggestions?

Default Re: Feeding in public is frustrating

I had the same problem mama. He would NEVER eat in public...so we just made sure we were home every few hours to eat. Kind of a pain in the butt, but at least it was an excuse to get out of doing things I didn't want to do... (Like going to IL's...)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Have you tried not using a cover? My lo would not nurse with a cover she'd just pull it off every time. I would dress in ways that made it easy to nurse without showing off all my goods. Usually 2 shirts, one to pull up and one to pull down.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

soon as my lo was that age, she wouldn't eat in public either. I would try to find a quiet room or try in the car. sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't.

I haven't tried not using a cover because I am nervous about my stuff showing. Plus it makes my husband uncomfortable. I suppose if I invested in better nursing clothes this could be an option but I feel like I would be completely awkward and embarrassed.

I never used any clothes specifically made for nursing. I do wear a lot of tank tops under other shirts, especially button down shirts. I've heard of people cutting horizontal slits in t-shirts and wearing them under other shirts, too.

If you feel awkward you could try practicing at home in front of a mirror. You'd be surprised how little you can see if you have the right clothes and figure out how to wear them. And acting like you're not doing anything weird helps more than you'd think. Most of the time people had no idea what I was doing when I was nursing in public, they just assumed I was cradling a sleeping baby. IMO it attracts a lot less attention than having a blanket over baby's head.

It's definitely one of those things that gets easier the more you do it. Not only do you get better at it (like being able to latch on without looking), you get more comfortable about it.

Another factor might be your LO's age. Right around 3-4 months they get really easily distracted from nursing. Suddenly the boob is not their favorite thing in the world. That passes for most babies, though, and they decide nursing is interesting enough to focus for a little while.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would try not using a cover. If you are too uncomfortable to nurse in public, just go somewhere that's not as busy. Find a quiet spot. I know that always helped me, and helped my LO not get so distracted.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

If you do want to try nursing without the cover, here are a few things that helped me:
    -wear a loose fitting shirt (probably the most important thing)
    -get your baby all ready, then reach up and open your bra with shirt still down
    -pull baby close, lift shirt, latch down, then pull shirt back down to lo's cheek
    -When done, pull shirt down, reach up to close bra while holding bottom of shirt down, all done!

Maybe if you practice in front of DH you would both get more comfortable with it. NIP without covering does take some getting used to, but there are really just a few seconds where you might be exposed.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not sure I am comfortable without the cover. DH is definitely not. I think maybe I will try seeing if I can get lo more willing to use the cover by practicing at home. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what I will do. Maybe seeking the most private place (except the bathroom which I refuse to do) would be best.

I think it's a great idea to practice using the cover at home. Make sure you aren't using the boppy either as missing that support and the different nursing position may be what is bothering your lo more than the cover.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.