Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK to combine pumped milk?

Default OK to combine pumped milk?

I have been pumping on and off and have several 2 oz containers in the freezer. (I have trouble pumping more than 2 ounces at a time!) I am about to start going back to work a couple days of week and would like to be able to use the frozen milk before it goes bad, but I don't know if I can combine a couple of 2 oz containers into one bottle? Or do I have to put each pumping in a separate bottle?

Default Re: OK to combine pumped milk?

I have always combined it. Like to get a larger bottle I just put 2 or 3 of the 2oz storage bottles in there. We've never had a problem.

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks!! It seems like I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to combine unless you pumped them within an hour of each other, but it seems like such a waste of clean bottles! It seems to me that as long as each on is frozen immediately and used before it goes bad, it shouldn't matter!

I'll have to look that up...I never even thought of it being a problem. I can't imagine having to feed from separate bottles when my LO is 10 mos old! I would have to switch bottles three times a feeding!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post back if you find anything different!!

I always combined my milk, too. Everything I pumped in one day, anyway.

I think you aren't supposed to combine frozen milk with thawed milk, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I found something on breastfeeding.com that said you can as long as you combine milks of the same temp.

Phew! Now I feel better!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I combine all milk pumped within a 24 hour period.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

what if i poured thawed milk in with frozen milk???

do i have to throw it out????
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Are you thawing the frozen milk or freezing the thawed milk. I think it would be ok to thaw the rest and then give it to the baby, but I don't think you are supposed to refreeze thawed milk anyway.

Am I making sense?

I'm saying the milk is probably fine to give to the baby in the next day or so. I'd sniff it to make sure it smells ok, but I generally did that anyway.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous