Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unable to breastfeed after pumping

Default Unable to breastfeed after pumping

Is there a way to rapidly return my nipples to normal?

I've been pumping every 2h, but sometimes I don't so that I can breastfeed.
    The pump makes my nippes so huge that she cannot fit them in her tiny mouth, and I cannot get them hard enough so that she can feel them. When my nipples are normal, we have no problem breastfeeding.

Thanks,
    Kim
    (Our goal is to help our underweight baby to gain weight, by the way, with formula supplementation. I am pumping so that the doctor can try to figure out an estimate as to how many calories she is getting, so we add up the breastfeeds, the pumped consumption, and the formula.)

Default Re: Unable to breastfeed after pumping

I cannot speak to the supplementation issue very well, but I've seen others suggest using ice cubes on the nipple to bring out a flat nipple. This seems like it would probably work on a "pumped" nipple also. Just rub an ice cube across it. Let me know if this works!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on