Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to start weaning at 1 yr.?

Default how to start weaning at 1 yr.?

I am thinking ahead - my DS is just turning 9 months tomorrow I work full time and pumping is taking up the majority of my preparation time (I am a teacher). We are also nursing a few times a night as well as 3 times during the day, and he takes about 10 oz of EBM at daycare (about all I can pump in 2 sessions) plus a little formula if he is hungry. I don't mind continuing to nurse at night once he hits the one year mark, and at home, but I would like to cut out the pumping sessions at work. I need to have the work time back. I have been determined to pump during the school day so I can reach my goal of BF for a year, and I think I will make it! I have several questions about how to wean, at least partially! I know I have "started", since DS takes 3 solid meals a day of some combo of cereal, veggies, fruit, yogurt and/or cheese, and sometimes meat. But I am unclear how to proceed...I want it to be gradual as to not traumatize DS, but I want it to be effective DS loves his booby, especially at night!!!!

1) What does a daily meal/snack intake look like for a 1 year old if they are not taking breastmilk (at least daycare hours)?
    2) How does one go about introducing cow's milk? Is it a tough transition?
    3) What are the easiest nursing sessions to start eliminating?
    4) What's the best way to avoid problems like breast infections/clogged ducts when cutting out pumping sessions?

TIA for all suggestions!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Default Re: how to start weaning at 1 yr.?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dreame View Post
    1) What does a daily meal/snack intake look like for a 1 year old if they are not taking breastmilk (at least daycare hours)?
    4) What's the best way to avoid problems like breast infections/clogged ducts when cutting out pumping sessions?
    I stopped pumping right at a year- maybe a few weeks after. My daughter stopped taking formula first- she just started refusing it. Then she stopped taking her BM bottles so I went ahead and stopped pumping, which was a relief.

1) If they are away from mom all day, their daily meal/snack intake looks about the same as it does before they stop taking milk during the day- esp if they are still nursing at night. Though some kids may nurse a little extra in the evenings when they get mom back to make up for it. Make sure he is getting foods high in calcium especially if he isn't drinking cow's milk much.

2) I think it depends on the child. I could never get my daughter to drink cow's milk. Still can't. But she drinks it at day care. They just kept offering it to her and she eventually started drinking it. If you are still nursing in the evenings, your son probably doesn't really need the cow's milk. Like I said before- just make sure he is also getting foods high in calcium.

3) I think it's easiest to eliminate the bottles at day care first. I didn't really eliminate any of our morning/evening/night/weekend sessions until Nora was much older so I'll let someone else who may have experience field that question. I think it's something that depends on you, your child, your sleeping arrangements, etc.

4) To avoid problems when cutting out pumping sessions it's best to eliminate one at a time. You could try spacing them out a bit more every day until you have one less...then one less, and so on. Some people pump less at a time and seem to have luck, but for me it was more convenient to eliminate an entire session instead of taking shorter sessions.

Hope that helps!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I
    1. My DD has 3 meals a day plus snacks (breakfast, lunch, and a snack at daycare). She gets water and cow's milk throughout the day.

2. For us it wasn't a tough transition. We put cow's milk in her straw cup and she liked it from the start. But I know that's not the case with every LO. Some LOs do well by mixing BM with cow's milk and gradually increasing the ratio of cow's milk to BM. You might also need to try different temperatures if your LO is used to BM being warm then try warming the cow's milk.

3. We are still nursing morning and night, but I eliminated the pumping sessions. I did a combo of increasing the time between sessions and also decreasing the pumping time. It took me a couple weeks to entirely pump wean. And I actually keep my pump and supplies at work in case I ever need it...should she not nurse at night or in the a.m. and I find I'm full during the day.

4. I think you just need to take it at your own pace and don't expect to be able to eliminate pumping entirely cold turkey.

Good luck!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

1. I wouldn't worry about this too much. You'll be doing it gradually, so you'll be able to see how much more he wants to eat. He'll still be nursing nights/weekends, right? So he'll get that extra coverage if he needs it.
    2. For us it wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't necessarily tie those things together if he's still nursing outside of daycare. The daycare started offering it about the same time I started reducing bottles, maybe a little later. We didn't push.
    3. The pumping ones. Seriously, that depends on what you want to accomplish. There's no particular need to eliminate nursing sessions at the same time as pumping sessions.
    4. Just go slow. Space them out a little more, or cut one one session at a time, or do a half-session. If you just reduce slowly, whatever strategy you use, your body will adjust.

For me, I am weaning one breast so I can have a lump removed. I am finding that since I make so much milk, what is actually working better for me is to pump less at each pumping. I used to pump 4 oz but I started only pumping 3.5 for a few days, then 3, then 2.5 (which is where I'm at now) at all of my sessions. If you are going to go the dropping route, I still recommend decreasing the amount you pump during the time you want to drop, to make it so that you don't feel engorged for the first few days as much.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am sure I will have more questions once I actually get started It's kind of a scary thought!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html