Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daycare and solids

Default Daycare and solids

Ok here goes my spill... Last week the DCW gave my lo oatmeal with bananas twice. She had given it to her before. Here's the kick. I had NO idea until she told me. I had noticed one day her poop was much more solid so I thought something was up and then she told me. Well, I didn't know how to react so I just said I wish you would have asked me. My lo is five months on Wed. and I am trying to exclusively breastfeed for six right? So I told her that as well. Then she showed me how she was eating the oatmeal. She was opening her mouth and the DCW said she had even been grabbing for the bowl. So I was of course in shock at first like oh no I have to go and by stuff now not ready at all. Then when I got home I got furious and printed off information from the American Academy of Pediatrics and their recommendations. So I complained the next day at work and she isn't going to do it anymore but she said she had been crying and it helped her calm down. I tried to explain that she normally only cries when she is sleepy and rubs her eyes and told them how I handle it and call if they needed me. So then I go in today and there is a sub who has worked there a long time. The mother of the assistant director I think. Anyway she started talking about solid and how they need them and how my lo drinks the whole bottle and then keeps sucking. I feed her about 7 or 8 times a day and send about 5 or 6 oz. which I just recently increased from 4 or 5 oz. She eats about every 3 hours and 2 at night before bed. My question is.. Am I doing the right thing? Am I going to have to change day cares? I like the lady and she thought she was just doing what she always does which still seems crazy to me. Since now I will never get the chance back to see her have her first feeding of solids. Anyway, advice, tips, encouragement. All will be great!

Default Re: Daycare and solids

That's a toughie ... seems you like the place and feel comfortable that your lo is there.

If it was me, I would consider looking for another daycare if they didn't listen again to my wishes.

First, its alarming that they offered solids without even telling you or calling you. They could at least have said, "It may be time to introduce solids since she seems to hugnry, cry etc. ...."

Secondly, they even offered a banana. I understand that there aren't many children with banana allergies, but what if she had been allergic? all the books about babies and solid foods are so adament about introducing 1 food at a time and offering it for a week. My own mother (who's a pediatrician) said that if I wanted to introduce formula to my baby, to do so on the weekend incase she had an allergic reaction to it. (my lo is in daycare also)

Thirdly, what if you have certain principles with food (organic, vegan, religous, etc) that they may not know about.

Fourthly, as a mom you should have had the chance to feed your lo his/her first "meal". Its hard enough sending them to daycare. You don't want to miss milestones that you can at least be there to see and be a part of.

Its hard to be firm about these things at day care, but in the end you're the parent. If you spoke to your doctor and they OK-ed it then they should listen.

my 2 cents.
    Good Luck.

Hi Leslie!

This is my SIL everybody!!

Well you know what I think. You have every right to be angry. I'd be even more angry that they seemed to discard your thoughts and opinions on the issue- or maybe that was only the sub who did that? If that's the case, I'd talk with the teacher again and make sure she is on the same page with you about not giving solids and that she understands the basis for your decision on that. She doesn't have to agree with you but she DOES need to follow your wishes on it. Did she apologize to you for doing it without asking? Did she seem to understand that she had taken an experience away from you that you can never get back?

You are doing the right thing because you are the mother. You pay these people to take care of your child the way you want her taken care of. To me, it sounds like they are older ladies who are used to doing things a certain way and they are trying to convince you that you are doing things wrong. Well if you're doing things wrong (which you won't find many people here who would say that) then it is your right to do them wrong because you are the mother.

You aren't hurting your baby by not giving her solids. If she's still hungry tell them to give her more milk. Is it maybe a growth spurt making her hungry lately? Did you ask them about leaving some frozen for days when she seems to want more?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Hi Leslie!

This is my SIL everybody!!

Well you know what I think. You have every right to be angry. I'd be even more angry that they seemed to discard your thoughts and opinions on the issue- or maybe that was only the sub who did that? If that's the case, I'd talk with the teacher again and make sure she is on the same page with you about not giving solids and that she understands the basis for your decision on that. She doesn't have to agree with you but she DOES need to follow your wishes on it. Did she apologize to you for doing it without asking? Did she seem to understand that she had taken an experience away from you that you can never get back?

You are doing the right thing because you are the mother. You pay these people to take care of your child the way you want her taken care of. To me, it sounds like they are older ladies who are used to doing things a certain way and they are trying to convince you that you are doing things wrong. Well if you're doing things wrong (which you won't find many people here who would say that) then it is your right to do them wrong because you are the mother.

You aren't hurting your baby by not giving her solids. If she's still hungry tell them to give her more milk. Is it maybe a growth spurt making her hungry lately? Did you ask them about leaving some frozen for days when she seems to want more?
    My lo was given a cracker by his DCP at 7 months. We had only started introducing foods at 6 months. He had not had any wheat yet, due to family history of allergies. I was extremely upset (in tears) and talked to the director. The workers excuse ..he had teeth so she thought it was okay. I explained the dangers of introducing foods w/o the parents knowledge and/or approval. The rules at the daycare were changed to NO FOOD in the under 1 year room, unless sent by the parents or pre-approved by the parent. Last time I was there there was a big sign up in the nursery stating the policy, so no "accidents" could happen when there was a sub in the room.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

bump and a
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the encouragement. I knew I was doing the right thing. Yeah it was only the sub suggesting solids. I explained it again and the other DCP was there too. She just had surgery on her hand so she is having someone in there to help her. I brought some extra milk and put it in the freezer. I know she isn't having any problems because there aren't any when I'm around. They haven't used the extra milk so Obviously she is doing fine. I think they will respect my wishes but it just made me so mad and then the sub had to say something soon after so I just got upset a little again. I was telling her that I was going to give milk before the solids and the reasons and all that and she just acted like that wasn't the way it was suppose to be but like you all have said... I am the mother and it will be MY WAY dog gone it!!!! I think I will stick it out and hopefully my dad will be able to take care of her soon (hopefully only a month or two)

Way to stick to your guns!!

I hope your dad can watch her soon, too. For many reasons, but also because I know how supportive he is of breastfeeding.
    --Anonymous

So glad you are sticking to it with them. They need to be reminded of why they are there, to care for your child in the manner in which you see fit. I am glad that you may have a better option open up soon! Sounds like that may be the best thing!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."