Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby constipated

Default Re: Baby constipated

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    What solids is your LO eating and how often?

Major constipation causers can include rice cereal, bananas, and apples. I've found carrots give DD constipation as well. We stopped cereal and bananas altogether to prevent it.

It helps to cut back on the amount of solids your LO is getting. A little bit of water can help during meals. And, if absolutely necessary, I've found that an ounce or two (at the most) of apple-prune juice will do the trick within a few hours.

Bananas and rice cereal were the cause for DS, we cut them out altogether for a few months. Pureed and strained peaches or prunes worked, and also the Gerber apple-prune. The nurse told me to only give prune juice which is labelled for babies because regular prune juice can have fibers in it, which could cause choking in a young baby. Maybe over-cautious, but I stuck to the baby apple-prune. I never managed to find straight baby prune. Good luck!
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

What if LO is constipated and just getting breast milk (from a bottle)? Should I cut out bananas, apple juice, etc.?
    Rene, first time mom to born 6/13/08

since day 1!

Donated 684oz (so far) to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elis-mom View Post
    What if LO is constipated and just getting breast milk (from a bottle)? Should I cut out bananas, apple juice, etc.?
    Do you mean baby isn't getting any solids yet? BF babies can go up to 2 weeks w/out pooping sometimes, and as long as it isn't dry and hard all is well.

I don't think changing your diet would make a difference...
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Unhappy Re: Baby constipated

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    Do you mean baby isn't getting any solids yet? BF babies can go up to 2 weeks w/out pooping sometimes, and as long as it isn't dry and hard all is well.

I don't think changing your diet would make a difference...
    No solids yet (I know I'm in the wrong forum, but the question seemed relevant). Breast milk from a bottle only. It's been about a week, and I'm just concerned...
    Rene, first time mom to born 6/13/08

since day 1!

Donated 684oz (so far) to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elis-mom View Post
    No solids yet (I know I'm in the wrong forum, but the question seemed relevant). Breast milk from a bottle only. It's been about a week, and I'm just concerned...
    It can be normal for babies to go that long... how are wets? How much milk is your LO getting? And how old is he/she?

ETA: Just read your siggie... So your DS is almost 4 months old. I think that's around the time that their digestive tract starts maturing and they will go longer between poops. Like I said as long as when he does poop, it's still soft and he doesn't seem to be in pain while passing it, everything should be A-OK. But you can always call your ped. if you are concerned!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Try Earth's Best Prune Oatmeal mix (if she's already eating solids) or tickle the baby's anus by inserting 1/2 inch of the thermometer inside the anus & make round strokes for 20 counts