Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A weird day of nursing

Default A weird day of nursing

DS nursed first thing this morning like champ.

Rest of the day, including down for nap... no nursing.

I offered and he refused! He would latch on for a second and not even suckle, then off he was to play.

He's been slowing down nursing, we dropped an AM session and all the other ones have been very quick.

Do you think this is just his way of saying he might be ready to wean down to nursing in the morning and at night? He does still night nurse.

He did not show any anxiety or stress whatsoever today. He ate an enormous breakfast and lunch, and had a few small snacks. Just a very happy kid!

Ideas? I'm baffled.. and of course very emotional.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: A weird day of nursing

I don't really have any advice, as we're not to that point yet, but I did want to offer some . It's always so hard on mama when babies decrease their nursing.

How old is your little nursling? Some kids go through stages in development -- particularly as they discover their increased mobility -- when they are too distracted to nurse well. In any case, it doesn't sound like he is ready to spread his wings entirely

Well I guess it's just what this phase is going to be. He will latch on for a second, give a few sucks, then he's off.

He's 16 months.

It's just hard because he isn't staying on long enough for a let-down, just to touch base.

I'm just trying to follow his lead, but it's hard when something changes in your nursing relationship, well it's hard on momma!

Does anyone else have a stage of toddler nursing like this?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

DS would definitely do that if we were out or away for the weekend. Or, if he had a cold or was teething. (He went on a 10 day strike at 17 months from eye teeth.) It would be pretty surprising for him to permanently drop all day sessions at once so I'd probably expect him to come back at least some.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    DS would definitely do that if we were out or away for the weekend. Or, if he had a cold or was teething. (He went on a 10 day strike at 17 months from eye teeth.) It would be pretty surprising for him to permanently drop all day sessions at once so I'd probably expect him to come back at least some.
    OHh he is getting his eye teeth.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My 16 month old has done this a few times.. usually she is distracted by something or needs to poop.... the next day she always reverts back her old ways

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmama2 View Post
    My 16 month old has done this a few times.. usually she is distracted by something or needs to poop.... the next day she always reverts back her old ways
    Today seems to be more of the same... not interested in nursing! I'm just following his lead, if he is leading towards weaning then so be it, and if not I'm up for some more toddler nursing.

He's still latching on, but not really suckling anything.

Toddlers keep ya on your toes!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

During that strike, DS wasn't visibly upset during the day (unlike a typical strike), but he was a lot harder to get to sleep at night. I went from nursing probably 8-10 times a day down to 2 or 3. I let my supply drop, too, but it and his nursing picked up when his teeth came in. Those were by far the worst teeth to get for him.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcdandfamily View Post
    During that strike, DS wasn't visibly upset during the day (unlike a typical strike), but he was a lot harder to get to sleep at night. I went from nursing probably 8-10 times a day down to 2 or 3. I let my supply drop, too, but it and his nursing picked up when his teeth came in. Those were by far the worst teeth to get for him.
    I think that this is exactly what is going on for us. His top eye teeth are poking through but not all the way down, and he's been really teething badly. I was able to get him to nurse a little bit this afternoon around nap so I feel good about that.

I think this is like a mini-strike... we've BTDT. It seems like he has one every 4 months. Anyways thank you for the good thoughts, and its good to know other toddler nursing mommas have been through the same thing with an older nursling.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09