Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Techni Ice allowed in carry-on luggage?

Default Is Techni Ice allowed in carry-on luggage?

I'm hoping to brimg a stash of EBM home with me as carry on luggage after a trip abroad. I know blue ice-packs are considered to be fluid but has anyone had any issues with techni Ice?

Default Re: Is Techni Ice allowed in carry-on luggage?

I think if you're carrying breastmilk, it's OK. In the past, I've been given a hard time for carrying breastmilk on board without a baby, but I've heard they've relaxed that rule now. I think if it's OK to bring breastmilk, they won't give you a hard time for carrying fluid in order to preserve it. That's been my experience, anyway. Good luck!

I would call the airlines ahead of time and confirm procedure to avoid any problems.
    2001 2004 2008

Don't know if they've relaxed it over here though! I'm in Ireland and will be flying to and from Hungary. And I don't ever expect reason to prevail in airports!

What is techni ice? I am traveling this week and am also concerned about how to bring back milk that I pump...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chipmonkey View Post
    Don't know if they've relaxed it over here though! I'm in Ireland and will be flying to and from Hungary. And I don't ever expect reason to prevail in airports!
    Oops. I guess I assumed. I have no idea what the rules are over there right now!

Obrmommy, techni ice is an Australian invention and is supposed to be a dry ice replacement and stay cool for days! When you get it, it is in flat sheets but once hydrated the ice compartments puff out a bit like those bags you can get to make ice-cubes. When I saw them advertised they looked like exactly what I was looking for but when I look at them hydrated I'm not so sure! Oh well, given that EBM should be OK for 10 hours at room temp hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a problem if I had to dump them but I' d HATE to have to dump them.

I'm going to look that up right now - sounds like they may work well for traveling. I'm with you on the dumping thing - ugh, that would break my heart to lost perfectly good milk My husband said what's the big deal just pump to keep up supply and dump it, no need to worry about how to get it home... He doesn't quite get that EBM is like liquid gold in our world

I looked up more info on the TSA site and it says that you can carry cooling gels necessary for breast milk or other medical liquids, so techni ice should be fine.