Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pressure to "stretch out" feedings......

Default Re: Pressure to "stretch out" feedings......

Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Default Re: Pressure to "stretch out" feedings......

WOW it sounds like YOUR baby is right on cue. I agree with the other posters that it is a good thing you did NOT take her advice!!!! I to am saddened by your story of your bff's cousins baby. I would give your friend info on FTT baby's and on starving a baby. Breastfed baby's need to eat more often and cannot go as long as a formula fed baby. That seems to be what they are trying to do...feed on a formula fed schedule. I knew a woman who did this once. She had 8 kids and did this with all of hers. She doesn't do Dr's so noone advised her and she had really skinny babies. She also did the whole don't pick up while screaming thing and I just couldn't stand it!!!

I know with my oldest he ate every 2 hours the forever during the day...lol. However....he didn't eat very often at night after about 6 weeks and I would feed him only once at night usually around midnight he would rouse...give or take because I never scheduled him. After about 3 months he gave up the midnight feeding but still ate every 2 hours during the day. Even after he took solids he still nursed every 2 hours....lol.

With my 2nd child....he ate all the time. He nursed every 1.5 -2 hours for a long time and night nursed as well. He finally got to where he would go about every 2 hours and he still woke up often at night. we co-slept because he wanted to nurse so much and this worked. At about 4 months he started nursing a bit less at night but still pretty often...it would depend on the day or whatever...lol. After about 6 months or so he was still waking up 2-3 times a night. About a year he started sleeping through the night but still nursed every 2 hours during the day. He refused solids until he was a year old and finally he was ready for them. About 14 months he cut down to 4 times a day or so, then at 16-17 months he cut down to 2 times a day and then 1. At 18 months he weaned all on his own!!!

Trust your instincts. I would never let my baby scream and cry and neither would my husband. Neither of us could stand it. I can't stand it now if he is crying and I can't figure out why and he is 20 months. I want him to be healthy and happy and I wore my baby's...still do or hubby does!!! My kids are not spoiled and are well adjusted. My oldest is a great big brother and helps a LOT with my youngest. They get along really well together and my youngest is a very happy baby on most days...you know how it is there are days they are not....lol. he is good to take anywhere and loves life. My mom breastfed me and she mothered the same way....and I am not spoiled either. So just follow your heart Momma...you will be fine.