Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping & Flying

Question Pumping & Flying

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking my first out of state trip with my 10 week old on Thursday (ugh, I'm dreading this for a million reasons!) and am wondering if anyone out there knows how breast milk is handled through security. I know you're allowed to bring milk when traveling with an infant, but I don't know if there are restrictions as to the amount and how it must be transported. I expect that I'll have extra milk to bring home from my trip (I'll be gone 10 days), and don't know if I'll be forced to spill it out if I am carrying it through security. I suppose I could always freeze it and pack it in my checked luggage with some freezer packs around it, but that seems a bit risky.

Has anyone dealt with this before or know the rules? Thanks for your help!

Samantha

Default Re: Pumping & Flying

I'm replying to my own message because I just found the answer in a different post! A great link to the TSA site with info about transporting milk was really helpful!

It says that you can bring over 3 oz through security - "in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary". I may just have to convince them coming back that my daughter is a hearty eater!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Pumping & Flying

Glad you found the info you needed. That rule just recently changed where you don't have have your baby with you and you can have as much bm as you need to carry with you, so long as you claim it.

Good luck with your travels. Just a word to the wise-pump as often as you can while you're away to keep your supply up. Mine took a nose dive when I traveled for my first trip without ds.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!