Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So how often do you nurse?

Default Re: So how often do you nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*huhmama View Post
    Hello... I'm new and so glad to have found you ladies.

My 14 month daughter nurses 8-10 times a day and every couple of hours at night. I was wondering if this was normal... it sounds like we're not too far off. She has always nursed for about 5 minutes and only on one side, so it's not too bad. I do wonder when I will sleep more than two hours in a row!
    my 21 month old only nurses twice, both at night now. He still wakes at least 4-5 times at night though! So even if he is not nursing that often, he still wakes! It will happen in time momma, i promise! Its funny you can get used to not sleeping all night though, isnt it?

Kelly, I did notice when we cut back on sessions, his interest in food did seem to grow. I'm sure that isnt the case for every kid, but definately is for DS.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My 27 month old nurses probably four or five times a day and two or three at night. During the day, he nurses for naps (when he's falling asleep and waking up) and for comfort after a temper tantrum, and sometimes I think just because he's bored :-).
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

My 16 month old boy nurses about 4 - 5 times a day. He nurses in the morning, after I pick him up from a daycare, in the evening, before going to bed, and sometimes once during the night. He nurses more when I stay home all day with him.

My 21-month-old nurses maybe 4-5 times during the week (when he's in daycare most of the day), and seemingly perpetually on the weekends. This includes a marathon session from 5am until 7:30 or whenever DH or myself hauls ourself out of bed, whichever comes first. (I can't sleep while he's nursing anymore, too acrobatic). This comes at least partly from our night-weaning. You know he KNOWS the rule is he can come into bed at 5am!

23 months, and 10-12 times during the day. He nurses once at night (usually around 5am). DH jokes about Joshua coming home from highschool (DH says this in a deep voice)
    "Mom, I failed my algebra test, dee dee dee" (dee dee dee is milkies). I laugh so hard everytime he does that.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

My dd, 21 1/2 mo, nurses off and on from 5-7am (sometimes that's just once off each side, other times it's each side several times), before nap, right after nap, and before bed. I guess that's 3-4 sessions.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

My 24 month old nurses 4-5 times a day if we are home, less if we are out and busy.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    It's really not that bad! I love nursing her. And she's a fast nurser - usually only takes about 10 minutes, except for the marathon session (sometimes an hour and a half!) at bedtime. I only asked because we have dealt with anemia issues in the past, but she was okay the last time they checked. But wanting to nurse more is a symptom of it, so I was just wondering if it was normal or if I should be concerned.

I was thinking though, that she's on a high-fat diet because she's such a skinny girl, and I had read that the more often they nurse, the higher the fat content of BM. So maybe she's just naturally craving what she needs most of, huh? That, and I think she needs the time to reconnect with mom too. She really is a mama's girl still (don't get me wrong, she loves daddy and the rest of the fam, but when she's busy spending time with other people, she really needs to reconnect afterward). Plus, she's been pretty slow at picking up solids (she does well, just not a lot of interest) which I think may be because of some food intolerances/allergies.

I just read all these posts from moms with LOs younger than mine who are only nursing like 3-4 times a day and I just wondered if anyone else nursed this often still. It's interesting to see what other toddlers are doing!
    I could've written this My 21m old nurses 10-12 times a day (including night) too. Ours tends to be when she wakes up, 11ish, nap before and after, evening, and the rest is at night. She's always fast too so it isn't hard on me. She's just recently gotten a lot more into solids but still isn't into them as much as others her age. We have a strong family history of allergies too.
    Good luck!

glad to hear I don't have the only LO that LOVES to nurse
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

My DD just turned one last Thursday (Woohoo...made it a year and nurses 4 times a day. I just started substituting milk for one feeding during the day, so technically she's down to 3.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.