Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So how often do you nurse?

Default So how often do you nurse?

DD is almost 22 mos. old and still nurses like 10-12 times a day most days. Just wondering how often yours nurse, and if this is normal? At this rate, I'm hoping she self-weans before she hits puberty!

Default Re: So how often do you nurse?

At that point, we were at 8-10 times a day (including night). When I wanted him to cut back when I became pregnant, I realized that some of those sessions were snacks and drinks for him, and by offering those alternatives I was able to cut 2-3 sessions pretty quickly and easily. (Not that you need to by any means, but if you want to cut down, that might be a place to start.) With some gentle weaning encouragement, DS now nurses 2-4 (usually 3) times a day.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

At 22 months, my daughter was probably nursing 4-6 times per day. If we were out and about in the big exciting world, she nursed less. If we were at home all day, she nursed more- she wanted it when she was bored and whenever she saw me sit down in a couch or chair where she was accustomed to nurse. She was also nursing once at night out of habit. She would wake up between 5:00 and 6:30, nurse briefly, and then go back to sleep for an hour or so.

If you want to cut down on nursing- and mad props to you for nursing 10-12 times a day for 22 months!- I would definitely choose a week, and try to fill every moment of the day with activities that aren't nursing. That may help your toddler get out of the habit of nursing all the time.

And if you are okay with the level of nursing your LO is doing, good for you! Keep it up, because there's no reason not to if you and your baby are both happy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow...to me that is alot of nursing. I have a 7 month old and a 31 month old. I think due to the changes of pregnancy, my 31 month old is now only nursing 1 time a day, before naptime. However, when I got pregnant he was nursing 3x a day. Between my 2 I probably nurse 11-13x a day. It's exhausting most days. I feel for ya!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Wow! Well done mamma for keeping up with your nursing schedule. My son is 25 months old and I express once a day and give him around 10oz, then he nurses to sleep in the evening, two or three times during the night and once in the morning. He doesn't ask to nurse at all during the day.

I agree with PP, distraction seems to be the key if you want to cut down your time nursing.

Good luck and well done.

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynesmom View Post
    Wow! Well done mamma for keeping up with your nursing schedule. My son is 25 months old and I express once a day and give him around 10oz, then he nurses to sleep in the evening, two or three times during the night and once in the morning. He doesn't ask to nurse at all during the day.

I agree with PP, distraction seems to be the key if you want to cut down your time nursing.

Good luck and well done.

Congrats!!! I am glad to hear that you have been breastfeeding for soo long. My daughter is 6 months old and it is so challenging for me to breastfeed. She is not yet ready for solids. I find my self breastfeeding her every 4 hours in a 24 hour period. ..... its exhausting

Gabe is 21 months and we nurse 3-4 times per day, 4-6 times per day on the weekend. It's basically on demand when we are together but he is at daycare through the week so that cut down most of our sessions!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I am just amazed...I don't nurse my 2 month old that often I worried that maybe I was doing something wrong...she only nurses maybe 8x a day. But she is happy, healthy, gaining weight like crazy, and sleeping great. So I'm not worried...but I gotta tell you...I'd be exhausted if I nursed that much I think! Good for you!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

It's really not that bad! I love nursing her. And she's a fast nurser - usually only takes about 10 minutes, except for the marathon session (sometimes an hour and a half!) at bedtime. I only asked because we have dealt with anemia issues in the past, but she was okay the last time they checked. But wanting to nurse more is a symptom of it, so I was just wondering if it was normal or if I should be concerned.

I was thinking though, that she's on a high-fat diet because she's such a skinny girl, and I had read that the more often they nurse, the higher the fat content of BM. So maybe she's just naturally craving what she needs most of, huh? That, and I think she needs the time to reconnect with mom too. She really is a mama's girl still (don't get me wrong, she loves daddy and the rest of the fam, but when she's busy spending time with other people, she really needs to reconnect afterward). Plus, she's been pretty slow at picking up solids (she does well, just not a lot of interest) which I think may be because of some food intolerances/allergies.

I just read all these posts from moms with LOs younger than mine who are only nursing like 3-4 times a day and I just wondered if anyone else nursed this often still. It's interesting to see what other toddlers are doing!

FWIW - my 19 month old nurses 2-3 times per day now, but LOVES to eat food