Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need both breasts, one makes less!!

Exclamation Need both breasts, one makes less!!

I know one breast usually makes less milk, but what do I do if I think I am decreasing in supply on one side? I really need both breasts fully functioning b/c I can only pump once during my work day. My lo prefers my right breast over my left. I can tell by the size and feel of my breasts that the left is producing less milk and the amount I'm able to pump from the left breast has decreased while the right has stayed the same. what should I do?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Need both breasts, one makes less!!

I don't have any advice on increasing your left side but I did want to offer you some encouragement.. I can ONLY feed from my right side because I had a tumor removed from my left side when I was 14.. It makes milk, but most of the ducts are severed so it can't come out. When I had my DD I exclusively pumped for her and was able to get like 42-48 oz per day.. So, even if your left side stopped working all together you would still be able to EBF.
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to beautiful baby girl, Elliotte 5/17/06 and handsome little man, Lane 3/7/08

birth weight: 6 lbs 4.1 oz
    left hossy @: 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 week check: 6 lbs 15 oz
    4 week check: 7 lbs 12 oz
    5 weeks 2 days: 8 lbs 12 oz
    9 weeks: 11 lbs 12 oz
    13 weeks: 13 lbs 13 oz
    19 weeks: 16 lbs 4 oz
    6mths 2wks: 18 lbs 11 oz
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llanesiggy.jpg

Cool! Thanks. That helps a lot. I hope my left side won't stop working, but I needed some encouragement!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Have you thought of pumping on one side while your lo nurses the other side? Or pumping after? That way your breast is still being stimulated. Plus, it gives you some extra EBM just in case you need it.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Here's another thought. Consider using just your left breast at night. If your baby nurses a few times during the night, that could help increase your supply in your left breast.

And I want to concur with the landlanes.mommy--there are plenty of mothers who nurse with just one breast (for a variety of reasons) and have enough milk for their babies.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader