Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting to Get Discouraged

Unhappy Starting to Get Discouraged

My baby is 14 1/2 weeks old and Im starting to get discouraged on my relactating process. When he turned 3 months, he was exclusively formula fed & I decided I wanted to get him exlusively bf. When he was born I nursed him with supplementing (bec of weight and jaundice) for a month. Slowly, over the course of the first 3 months of his life, he became supplement only. A fact that I HATE, because I have always wanted to exclusively bf.

10 days ago I started taking Reglan & using a hospital grade pump to increase my milk supply. Slowly, I have started seeing my supply go up (from nothing). But lately, I'm worried that i'm starting to platau... I pumped:

9/25...........180 mL
    9/26...........186 mL

I'm finding it difficult to pump 10 times a day so Im trying to at least get in 6 times. Not to mention, like another mom was saying on the board, its hard to get encouragement from people off of the board. just yesterday, my mom was telling me I should be careful about hurting myself pumping and if my milk supply doesnt increase than i should just accept it & be happy I tried up until now. DH is semi-indifferent about the situation. From his reactions, he seems to think that I should be going faster.

Should I be worried at this point or am I prematurely getting excited bec of my mom's comments???
    Last edited by @llli*babyys; September 27th, 2008 at 09:50 AM.

Default Re: Starting to Get Discouraged

You are working so hard! You are doing a great job and I am sorry that you do not have the support you need. That makes things even more difficult. I am not sure how long Reglan takes to make a difference, but it seems that slow and steady progress is good. It seems that your mom is concerned for your well-being. I am sure it is hard for her to see you suffering and she wants things to be easier for you. Does pumping hurt? If not, letting her know this and also letting her know that pumping that many times and that often is normal may make her feel better. Maybe she can be more supportive if she is not so worried about you...Your DS is so lucky to have a mama willing to work so hard for him. Take some time to celebrate the success you have had so far. Sometimes this will give you the strength to move forward. Wishing you continued success!
    2001 2004 2008

I say go for it! You are doing great! What little you give is a lot! Just 1 tsp has 3 million germ fighting cells! (kellymom.com) People who make comments are usually just not informed on the issue. My mother included! It sounds like you need larger flanges (horns) for pumping. It shouldn't hurt and when it does, the flanges are usually the issue. Your nipples and areola should be moving freely in the flange and not rubbing on the sides. Go to the Madela web-site and watch a video of what a proper fit is. Keep up the good work and let us know how you are doing!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Talking Re: Starting to Get Discouraged

As someone who relactated a year ago, I want to encourage you that it is very worth it. I also think that the fewer people that know, the better. I include other nursing moms in that catagory. They don't *get* how big of a deal it is to increase by an ounce. Come to this site and let this forum cheer you on. Any form of nursing or providing milk is success. To be at 180 ml is GREAT. You have not plataued, you are just getting started. It takes time.

I have been on this forum off and on for the past year and I can see a trend. I think that realistically is takes about 2-3 months for most of the moms to successfully bring up a full milk supply. There are those who do it quicker -- and you will have a substantial milk suppy before you get to a full supply, but it takes the day-in, day-out work of nursing and pumping and working day and night every day (and night). And quite frankly, most people just don't understand working that hard at it. So don't tell them. JUST DO IT!!!!

Trust me... you will be so proud of yourself and your baby for it! It IS WORTH IT. IT IS WORTH IT! IT IS WORTH IT!

i took reglan to relactate and it took about 7-14d to see a difference. You have to pump day and night.

GOOD JOB!!!
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Thanks everyone for the support. I guess its just hard bec its really tough to start over and not know weather or not it will work out even after all the work. The LC that I rented my pump from told me it would take a month but I am still far from getting to his needs.

It helps so much to hear other's stories/ support from you all.

Thanks so much, I will keep you all posted.

You're doing great - you can do it!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babyys View Post
    I guess its just hard bec its really tough to start over and not know weather or not it will work out even after all the work.
    We have ALL felt like this. Just remember slow and steady wins the race. You are doing it. It takes a tremendous amount of time. Keep up the good work!

180 ml - that is 5 1/2 oz. Is that in a 24 hr. period? I think that is wonderful! To go from nothing to this! That is encouraging to me! Keep it up! You are on the road to success. Can you get baby latched? Can he suckle? If you could get that going, your supply will probably jump. Continue to keep us posted! Try to not let dh discourage you. I regret letting mine do that to me and I eased off with pumping when I think I was almost getting towards a turn around with my supply.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

you can do it mama!! :cl

your doing great already! your LO is so lucky to have a mama that is willing to work so hard for him! gvibes:
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.