Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pasta and such

Default pasta and such

Today we went to my daughter's nine month appt. The doctor said it was okay to give her small pieces of crackers, pasta, and uncooked fruit if we want. I have seen people on this board discuss giving their baby's pasta, but I was wondering what type of pasta people use (angel hair, spagetti, etc?) and how small the peices are. Also, for apples and pears (and other fruit), is it better to give large chunks for the baby to gnaw on or smalls pieces that could be swallowed? (She has no teeth).
    Thanks.

Default Re: pasta and such

We've found that rotelle (spiral pastas) are DS's favorite. They are somewhat easy for him to pick up himself and you can indeed cut them into small pieces. He also likes penne, but that has taken more coordination, so came a little later!

With fresh/uncooked apple and pear - which DS just loves - I am most comfortable giving fairly thin slices, no skins. You can make them fairly small at the start. Now he has graduated to bigger pieces, but I would have been a nervous wreck starting there.

I should say that DS does have about 14 or so teeth, though, so that may be a factor. Even when he had nothing more than his front top and bottom 4 teeth, he would gnaw, kind of like a chipmunk - on things like fruit and veggies. I think he has always liked the sound and feeling of it!
    -linda

Default Re: pasta and such

For pasta, it would seem shape is very important. Ds likes elbows (macaroni), spagetti or spagattini noodles, and spirals. He does NOT like shell pasta. I don't wknow why. He also prefers most pasta plain without sauce, but he'll eat the noodles with meat and tomato sauce just fine. We cut the noodles into about 2 cm lenghts since longer than that and he tends to gag while trying to swallow. Of course, whole grain pasta is much better than the white stuff, but we seem to always have white stuff anyway. Also, most pasta is made of wheat, so if your baby hasn't had wheat yes, that is something to consider.

For fruit, you want to make sure it is pretty soft or pretty thin or small. You've probably heard this a million times, but slice grapes lenghtwise into quarters. Apple and pear can be sliced very thin (I leave the peel on). Blueberries (which, by the way, aren't really berries, so there's very little alergy risk) only need to be squished. Ripe peach is pretty soft, so a big chunk probalby wouldn't be a choking hazard. But still, watch her closely while she eats.