Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: looking ahead... almost there!

Default looking ahead... almost there!

DS is now 10 months, and I'm looking forward to getting to the one year mark. We are doing pretty well with our routine of nursing before offering solids. I know kellymom says that after a year it's okay to feed the solids and then nurse.

Is it okay if I just keep doing what I'm doing - that is, nurse on demand, and nurse before his 3 solid meals each day? I don't want him to wean anytime soon, and I'm afraid that if I start offering the solids first, he won't want to nurse afterward. He eats a lot of solids and I'm pretty sure his BM intake would drop dramatically if I tried to nurse after each solid meal.

Is there some point at which you're supposed to switch to nursing after the solid meal rather than before?

Default Re: looking ahead... almost there!

I don't think it matters that much. Around a year, solids does become more important nutritionally, but if you aren't doing whole milk, than your milk is also very important I'm interested to hear what others know about this...

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

my DD is 9m old and i have nursed before and after solids.. it made no difference in how much she ate solids wise or breastwise. I prefer to give solids first then BF. my DD doesnt eat alot of solids though yet. What does your ped say?
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

I will ask the ped at his 12 month visit but only out of curiosity and to get some good laughs. She is pro-BF to a certain extent, but I can already tell that she expects him to be weaned at a year and that she isn't real big on "extended" BF. Luckily I had done my homework about BF in the beginning, because she kept telling me that taking 20-30 min for a newborn feeding was "too long" (and shaking her head as if she was soooo concerned) and that nursing every 1.5 hrs in the beginning was abnormal. Thankfully I knew more than she does about BF!
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; September 27th, 2008 at 09:30 AM.