Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Waking when put down in crib

Default Waking when put down in crib

Hi Ladies,
    I need some advice. I'm still nursing and pumping for my 11 1/2 month old daughter. I usually nurse her to sleep at night and then put her down in her crib. She doesn't like going to bed - she wants to keep partying!

The problem I've had the last couple of nights is that after nursing to sleep, she wakes up when I put her in her crib. Last night she fell asleep around 8:30, woke up when I tried to put her down at 9:15, nursed back to sleep, woke up when I tried to put her down at 10, and then was awake until I nursed her back to sleep at 11. She woke up again when I put her down at 11, but I left her in her crib and she only cried for about 30 seconds before going back to sleep.

I can't do co-sleeping. I just don't sleep well, especially since I feel her teeth when she dozes off and uses me as her pacifier. Right now she wakes up between 5 and 5:45 am, and I nurse her in our bed. She usually goes back to sleep, but I sometimes can't. Once she does go down for the night, she sleeps in her crib until 5 or 5:45 with no middle of the night nursing sessions. That's another reason I don't want to try co-sleeping - I don't want to go back to middle of the night feedings when she's been without them for two months. Plus, I let her nurse to sleep in our bed a few nights ago when she was doing this same waking up thing, and she still woke up when I picked her up to put her in her crib.

I've always had trouble with her waking up when we try to lay her down in her crib, whether it was for naps or bedtime. My husband and I were talking about it last night, and we both think it might be time to get her to go to sleep on her own in her crib. I'm not a fan of letting her cry it out, so we were thinking of putting her in her crib with a bottle of EBM, so hopefully she'd go to sleep after finishing her bottle. Is this our only option? I really don't want to give up the nighttime nursing session, but I don't know what else to do. It's almost like she views this as an early evening nap before more playtime.

Thanks for your help.
    at work morning and night

Ecstatic mom to Elena born 10/12/07

Default Re: Waking when put down in crib

Have you tried to put her down and see if she actually cries? DS will still cry or fuss after I nurse him down and move him but it's usually only for a few seconds. I just started letting him fuss while watching the clock in the kitchen. If he went past a minute I went back in and rubbed his back or hugged while humming his lullabye him but I didn't pick him up.

Usually he will go back to sleep on his own after the initial fussing without me having to go back in. You could try this and just set the time limit between you going in to sooth her with what your comfortable with.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    Have you tried to put her down and see if she actually cries? DS will still cry or fuss after I nurse him down and move him but it's usually only for a few seconds. I just started letting him fuss while watching the clock in the kitchen. If he went past a minute I went back in and rubbed his back or hugged while humming his lullabye him but I didn't pick him up.

Usually he will go back to sleep on his own after the initial fussing without me having to go back in. You could try this and just set the time limit between you going in to sooth her with what your comfortable with.
    this was exactly what Iw as going to suggest. Is it ful out crying or fussing? It may just be her way of adjusting. I also went through somehting similiar and found that if I rolled him onto his side or tummy and then left my hands on him for a moment this calmed him down right back to sleep?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I was having a similar problem when I transitioned from co-sleeping to crib. The approach I'm doing is in the book, "No Cry Sleep Solution" I think the author is Elizabeth Pantley? Anyway it focuses on teaching baby to fall asleep on their own, eith co-sleeping or in a crib. It takes a while to transition (there are several steps each lasting around a week), but I've really seen some progress. When we started he wouldn't sleep in a crib at all, now it's easy to get him down and we are working on getting him to put himself back to sleep w/o my help or w/o nursing. It's all done with no CIO.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post

Yes, I put her down and she rolls over. She stands up in the corner of her crib and screams. She'll stop screaming/crying as soon as I pick her up. Then she'll point at the door, to say "out!" She does it when she wakes up at 5 am as well, points at the door as soon as we come get her.
    at work morning and night

Ecstatic mom to Elena born 10/12/07

Unfortunately, I don't think this will get better until you do some sleep training. Once they can fall asleep on their own, babies sleep much better. The Pantley book offers gentle solutions, as does the Baby whisperer. Honestly, though, we used Ferber where they cry a little but you don't leave them to CIO. It was the best thing we ever did and I'm sure I will get yelled at for saying it. But it really helped us and now she sleeps so well. It even made naps easier. She never cried for more then 5 min but all kids are different.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

We did co-sleeping, but we needed DS to go to sleep BEFORE we did so we could have some time to ourselves, and that just wouldn't work with him in our bed by himself. So we did need to nurse and then get him down in the crib, and then if he woke up after I'd gone to sleep we switched to co-sleeping.

But we DID have the same problem you did, where DS frequently awoke on the transition from nursing to crib, and I mean really waking up, standing, screaming, etc! We eventually concluded that the poor kid hated being in his crib at all. So we just got rid of it. We put the crib mattress directly on the floor, built a soft cloth-covered foamy bumper around it so he wouldn't roll off it, and that was his bed. (I got the idea from visiting an infant montessori school)

I nursed him to sleep in HIS bed, laying beside him on the mattress, and once he was in la-la land I could disconnect his latch, get up, and do my own thing. The disadvantage of course is the rooms he can access if he chooses to get up while we are asleep had to be extra-super-childproof, but it was totally worth it for us, the worst he ever got into was unrolling the toilet paper. We're doing the same thing for DD, although she never had a crib so she may not have had the same problem, but the mattress on the floor works great for her too.