Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: incorrect latch with side-lying position

Default Re: incorrect latch with side-lying position

I too have been thinking about posting a thread for advice on the side lying position. I have been using it more, due to falling asleep sitting up at night bfing and back pain, but my nipples are a little tender in the morning. It seems like my breast isn't high enough. Propping it seems like a good idea, but I am not sure about falling asleep with the loose fabric that close to her head. I already worry about her smothering. I am not sure where to put my arm that is down on the bed side and I am having trouble picturing cradling the head; with which arm?

Default Re: incorrect latch with side-lying position

I cradle her head in the arm of the side you are laying on and nursing on. You may not be able to do this if your baby is very young still. I don't think a smaller baby would be positioned correctly if you laid their head on your arm.

For really great photos and instructions on the side lying position see:

Side Lying Tutorial

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Talking Re: incorrect latch with side-lying position

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom
    I already worry about her smothering. I am not sure where to put my arm that is down on the bed side and I am having trouble picturing cradling the head; with which arm?
    Are you afraid of her smothering in the bed or in the breast? I'm very large breasted, and I would worry about smothering in the breast, too. So, the way I position myself is like this:

Let's say we're doing the left side, and I'm laying on my left side. DS lays on his right side, facing me. My arm goes straight out at a 90 degree angle, then bends at the elbow for another 90 degree angle. His head is against my bicep, nestled between my armpit and elbow. The rest of my arm holds his back so that he doesn't roll away from me. Then, what I do to ease myself about smothering, I roll slightly onto my back, pulling the large, fatty part of the breast away from his face. He still has a firm hold on the nipple, but he has lots of room to breathe. I realize, though, that not everyone's breasts are large enough to do side-lying feedings while laying on their back! Ha!