Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: incorrect latch with side-lying position

Default incorrect latch with side-lying position

for the past couple of weeks or so, my 12-week old dd has been incorrectly latching while i'm nursing her in the side-lying position. she latches on just fine if i nurse her in the cradle or cross cradle position...but once we are in the side lying position, she only sucks around my nipple! OUCH! i've unlatched her and attempted to get her to latch on correctly, but it hasn't happened! i've tried repositioning her so that he chin is touching my breast (and her nose is not in my breast)...i've even tried gently pushing down on her chin right before she latches on. this helps for a while...then she'll let go and latch back on only at the nipple.

any suggestions or advice?! i need this side-lying position to work...this is how i'd like to nurse her to sleep at night.

Default Re: incorrect latch with side-lying position

Can you put a small pillow or folded towel under your breast to prop it up a bit? I think the side lying position takes practice for both you and your LO. I still struggle with it.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

You could also try putting a pillow behind the baby. It helps keep her from rolling away from you and backing off the latch. It took several months for us to get it right, but it's soooo worth it. Keep at it and it'll pay off.

I've recently started cradling my baby's head in my arm while side lying. I have found it's more comfortable for both of us and keeps her latch good so she can't roll away or move around too much (and she likes being snuggled while nursing!).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

i was just going to suggest the same thing as paint-the-moon did- we could never get comfy that way either, but since i've been cradling her she is a happy camper & gets a much better latch.

thank you for all your suggestions! i will definitely try each one out and see which one works best for me and my dd.

I was just going to post a thread on side-lying feeding as I haven't tried it yet and wanted to get some ideas for how to correctly position myself and DD. So thanks for your question, Aleina's_Mom, and for all the replies everyone else. We'll try it out today and see how it goes

Another question, do people normally just use one position or use different ones? We've become very comfortable with the cross cradle (mostly because of my OALD and her habit of coming off when the milk flows too fast). However I noticed last night that I have a small bump on the aerola near my nipple where her upper lip latches on. It's a little sore. I assume this is from using the same position all the time as the nipple doesn't hurt at all. Any thoughts out there? I am going to try using the football hold and the side-lying position today and see if that helps. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alileahart
    I was just going to post a thread on side-lying feeding as I haven't tried it yet and wanted to get some ideas for how to correctly position myself and DD. So thanks for your question, Aleina's_Mom, and for all the replies everyone else. We'll try it out today and see how it goes

Another question, do people normally just use one position or use different ones? We've become very comfortable with the cross cradle (mostly because of my OALD and her habit of coming off when the milk flows too fast). However I noticed last night that I have a small bump on the aerola near my nipple where her upper lip latches on. It's a little sore. I assume this is from using the same position all the time as the nipple doesn't hurt at all. Any thoughts out there? I am going to try using the football hold and the side-lying position today and see if that helps. Thanks!
    i'm not sure if the small bump on your arreola area is from your dd nursing on the same side/position all the time...but you definitely want to get your baby accustomed to different positions. i believe there was a previous post about a mother who couldn't nurse her baby unless they were in a side-lying position...which isn't easy if you are out and about. so getting your baby to nurse in different positions is a plus. during the day you could use the football or cross cradle, and the side-lying position is wonderful at night! good luck!

I also had a problem with my dd unlatching because my milk flow is too fast. This has caused me to have blebs, infections, and soreness in the breast and on the nipple. I was advised by a LLL to lay on my back slightly propped up and lay the baby on me (belly to belly) to latch. This allowed dd to control the flow without unlatching. I also use the cradle or cross cradle then lean back, this works too. Hope this helps.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I find that I have to move my baby up (toward my head) further than one would think in order to get a good latch. Always, I put him on, we end up with a bad latch, I slide him up 2 inches or so, and then we do just fine.