Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking about night weaning

Default Thinking about night weaning

DD will be 14mo this weekend and I'm thinking about night weaning. Originally DH and I had discussed trying Dr Jay Gordon's method around Thanksgiving time (since we both have an extended time off from work and could deal with a fussy kid and sleepless nights more easily). But I realized this morning that when DH helped with one of DDs night wakings last night (the 2nd of 3) that she didn't cry like she usually does when he shows up instead of me. He took her to the guest room, lied down with her and they both drifted back off to sleep. She used to scream bloody murder until I came in and nursed her. So, I'm thinking that perhaps this is a good window of opportunity to night wean. I suggested to DH that tonight perhaps he responds to all of her night wakings (there's usually 2 or 3) and see what happens (instead of Gordon's method). I'm not to the point that I have to do this for my own sanity but I REALLY could use a good night sleep for once and I'm kinda worried that if I don't seize what could be a good opportunity that I'll kick myself down the rode if I reach a point that I really can't handle night nursing any more. Oh, and for once she isn't teething (she had been getting in a least one tooth a month since 6mos) or sick or reaching some major milestone. So, yeah, am I crazy to see this as a window of opportunity?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Thinking about night weaning

I would definitely give it a shot---she'll let you know , and, of course, you'll know yourself after the second night. Our son just turned 15 months and we're considering doing the same thing. Just moved him to his own room (placed only top queen mattress on the floor, and I've been sleeping in there with him) with plans to get him used to the place and--eventually--have him sleep in there alone. When the time comes for me to move out, my husband will move in, sleep with him a while, then slowly cut down on that....

We tried Dr. Gordon's method about a month and 1/2 ago, but then Alasdair got sick, so everything (6 nights going really well) reverted because he wanted to snuggle + nurse. Now he's working on molars....
    it seems never ending, like there's never a 'good' time.

That said, I definitely take those 'windows of opportunity' and give things a shot... you never know, it may work great. If not, you can try again later.

If you do decide to give it a shot, just be sure to stick with it for at least two nights, realizing they may be difficult. That's what I have trouble with... sticking with attempting to make the change-----of course they won't love it immediately, it's change, but ...

but. but. Sorry for the rambling. Maybe we'll try this week, too. I'll check back to see how things are going for you.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

I would definitely give it a shot---she'll let you know , and, of course, you'll know yourself after the second night. Our son just turned 15 months and we're considering doing the same thing. Just moved him to his own room (placed only top queen mattress on the floor, and I've been sleeping in there with him) with plans to get him used to the place and--eventually--have him sleep in there alone. When the time comes for me to move out, my husband will move in, sleep with him a while, then slowly cut down on that....

We tried Dr. Gordon's method about a month and 1/2 ago, but then Alasdair got sick, so everything (6 nights going really well) reverted because he wanted to snuggle + nurse. Now he's working on molars....
    it seems never ending, like there's never a 'good' time.

That said, I definitely take those 'windows of opportunity' and give things a shot... you never know, it may work great. If not, you can try again later.

If you do decide to give it a shot, just be sure to stick with it for at least two nights, realizing they may be difficult. That's what I have trouble with... sticking with attempting to make the change-----of course they won't love it immediately, it's change, but ...

but. but. Sorry for the rambling. Maybe we'll try this week, too. I'll check back to see how things are going for you.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

I think if it works for your daughter to have your dh help during the night, go for it. She will let you know if she's not ready. She may be ready to drop 1 or 2 of the night-nursings at first and then eventually all 3.

I personally, think she's a little young for the Dr. Gordon method. I used a variation of that once I knew my daughter understood "waiting for milk." I sort of practiced having her wait for milk during the daytime by delaying it when she asked and we were busy somewhere, etc. I started nightweaning her when she was 18 months and it went very well. We went back to night-nursing during a few trips, etc. but now are completely nightweaned (until 4/5am) and she is 21 months. I didn't use my dh for any of the night-time parenting though because it didn't work for my daughter - she only wants me during the night (and most of the daytime too, lol) so it worked better for me to do it.

Hope it goes well for you tonight. Try to be patient and realize it will probably take time.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Well DH followed the plan for the first night and then caved. The first time DD woke up Friday night DH went and got her and took her to the guest room. She fussed for a bit then fell asleep. My plan was for DH to then put her back in her crib but he fell asleep too so the two of them slept there for at least an hour and of course she started looking for milk and realized it was DH and not me next to her and started crying. And the crying turned to screaming and she carried on for an eternity and DH asked me to come nurse her. Saturday night DH didn't even try. Last night I was up with her 3 times between 9-3am and then she was up for the day at 5:30. We'll have to give it another shot this weekend and this time DH better follow the plan!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09