Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I have to wean baby because he has to go to daycare?

Default Re: Do I have to wean baby because he has to go to daycare?

I live in Canada, where many moms take 12 mos of parental leave and are then putting their 10-18 mos old in day care for the first time. What I see/hear time and time again is what a difficult transition it is for children at that age. Although leaving a small baby in day care is terrible for Mom (I feel for all of you in the US who only get a few weeks leave), it can be easier for a 3 mos old to adjust than a 1 year old. It will definitely take some time - maybe a LONG time - whether your LO is breastfed or not. Weaning him is likely to only add to his stress levels, not make it easier. I am with the PPs, if a DCP suggested that to me, I'd be ending the interview right there.

Shop around and see what your options are. Some LOs do much better in a home day care, where they get a family-like environment and usually much more TLC and consideration for their personal schedule, and can bond with one caregiver. Others are happier at a centre where they are busy-busy-busy with structured activities all day long.

Unfortunately it's not always so easy as just 'finding someone' and signing a contract, and it's super stressful for everyone. Once you find the right care, it WILL get better!

Thanks for all supports, mamas here are the best

So sorry you are dealing with this Momma. I agree with all PP! As a DC provider myself, I can understand how your provider would feel.

BUT I am the first to encourage my Mommas to BF. I have only FF babies right now, but I would make any changes to my daily schedule to accommodate a BF Momma.

I don't think that the cold turkey approach works for all LOs. Sometimes a 1/2 day visit before starting the program works wonders. I do think that sometimes the "stop, drop and go" approach works well once you are committed to leaving your LO for the day. A long goodbye tends to get your LO and yourself upset.

I would trust yourself and make sure you are not compromising your BF relationship for anyone!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)