Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to wean baby because he has to go to daycare?

Default Do I have to wean baby because he has to go to daycare?

My 15 month old boy has problem staying at a daycare. He was rejected from the first one because he cried all the time there. He cried when we left him with his grandma but he's getting better there. My partner said, if I don't wean him, he won't get a chance to be happy at any daycare because he's so attach to me.

It's true that he's very attach to me but I think it's very natural right? But again, when I saw other babies at daycare, they were happy there without their parents. I don't know what to do. I want to breastfeed him at least until he's 2 years old. Also he's a very picky eater and he doesn't like formula or pumped breast milk. He doesn't take bottle. He's okay with cow milk in a sippy cup but we suspect that he's allergic to cow milk because of diaper rashnso we don't give him often.

We just had an interview with a new daycare and she said it's better for him to wean so he won't cling to my breast so much as a soother rather than food source. And he won't look forward to getting my breast at the daycare. I really like a new daycare and I want it to work out with him. But I still want to breastfeed my boy. What should I do? I don't even know how to wean him. If I pump milk and give it to him, mixed with cow milk, will that be okay? But if I only pump milk, will my supply get so low. Now I already have difficult time pumping, taking about half an hour to get 4 oz. What should I do?

Default Re: Do I have to wean baby because he has to go to daycare?

Hmm ... I personally don't see why you'd need to wean to have your DS because of day care.

My DS started in day care at 3 mo and then went to the toddler room at a preschool when he was 13 mo. I sent in EBM in bottles and then when he was older sent EBM in sippy cups. When DS was about 16 mo I stopped pumping and DS then got soy milk or water at preschool (DS is allergic to cows milk). For a long time, DS would want to nurse as soon as I came to pick him up and the teachers were totally cool with me sitting with DS in a comfy chair in the classroom and nursing.

At 26 mo, DS is continues to nurse, and I know that there is another LO in his class who is also nursing.

It's very common for ALL LO to go through stages of separation anxiety, and I personally don't think it has anything at all to do with whether or not the toddler is nursing. Our experience has been that the care providers expect all the LO to have days where saying bye bye to mommy is hard. They always have some fun activities out on the tables to draw the LO into the classroom, and if the LO is still having a hard time are prepared to take the LO and give them lots of hugs and attention until they feel okay.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree with PP. And I also think that if a DCP was trying to tell me I should wean before enterting my child into the program, I wouldn't be entering my child into their program.

&
    Stephanie -- Newly single Mama to Alaina Jane, a.k.a. Laineybug, born 8/9/07.

Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love - you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want. ~Marni Jackson

i agree with both above posters but especially bugsmama.
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

yup shop around some more!
    maybe somebody coming into your home would be less stressfull on toddler?

with above posters. My ds has been in daycare since 3 months and we are still nursing. He no longer takes a bottle or has breastmilk in a cup there but that stopped just this past summer. He nurses morning, evening and night and on the weekends!

What happens if you spend some time there getting him adjusted? I would spend a half day or a little less with ds when we started this new place and he loved it! He felt comfortable and eventually gave me the sign that it was okay. Don't get me wrong, we still have our days but they give him lots of lovin and hugs and always have activities set up throughout the room to help take his mind of his worries!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

with pp. I would not take my lo to a dcp that told me I needed to wean.
    FWIW, my ds1 went to daycare and nursed until he was around 19 months.
    Until he was about 12 months, I would go on my lunchbreaks to nurse him. they had a spare rocking chair set up in the nursery for me to sit in. I often saw a new baby/child who pretty much cried the whole time. They were various ages and bottlefed, but they missed their mommies. After a few days/sometimes weeks they were happier.

Do you tell them at the prospective daycares that he cried all day? I might not tell them that. Maybe instead ask questions like "What will you do to help him adjust to my not being there?" Any dcp should expect a toddler who has not been away from mom to need sometime adjusting regardless of what feeding method has been used.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gabesmommy View Post
    What happens if you spend some time there getting him adjusted?
    I want to spend some time with him there too but she said cold turkey is best according to her experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    I would go on my lunchbreaks to nurse him. they had a spare rocking chair set up in the nursery for me to sit in.
    Wow your baby's so lucky I wish I could do the same but my office is quite far from the daycare.

What are your other day care options? I'm seeing lots of "red flags".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)