Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think it's time

Default I Think it's time

I know most would say that it's too soon, but I think I have decided to wean my LO who is 4 mos old.

First, I am in domperidone and was told I have to take it until I decide to stop nursing (which I am NOT impressed about having to take drugs to feed my child!)

Second, EVERY time he eats, he FREAKS out. This has been happening pretty much since I started nursing him. It's literally a fight to feed him and I don't think I can deal with it any longer....this is supposed to be an enjoyable time.
    We've ruled out OALD (actually, we've deal with it), no ear infections, no reflux, nothing.

Third, I need my space and want to have the "option" of going out when I want to (without having to plan weeks in advance).

I am ready and feel that it will be much easier to wean DS now than when he's older and is mentally more attached.

He can already drink from a bottle, take a paci, no problem.

I think I just need some opinions from both ends of the spectrum.

Default Re: I Think it's time

I'm not exactly sure what sort of help you're looking for?

Are you looking for "permission" to wean now? Are you looking for possible help with the challenges you've described?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Not so much "permission" per say, I would like to hear what people think about weaning at this stage.

I, in my gut, feel I am ready, but am afraid that when I begin to, that I will regret it.

(a little history....I BF for the first 4 days after DS was born, then gave it up due to extreme pain with blood blisters and also a painful birth recovery. I then felt guilty for feeding him formula...not sure if it was my hormones or not...then visited Dr. Newman who put me on domperidone to build up my supply)

Thanks for the clarification!

Would you consider doing both some breastfeeding and some formula? The formula would give you the flexibility and "space" you say you want while continuing to breastfeed a couple times a day would allow your LO to get the immune factors that are unique to breastmilk?

I don't know anything about taking domperidone, but can possibly suggest other nursing positions that may work better for both you and your LO.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

In the end it is totally your decision but this is my story.

Our baby was a preemie and had a very hard time b/f. I pumped and pumped until he got his latch down, which was about 2 months. I had mastitis 6 times before he was 4 months old and two of the most painful cases of thrush. I wanted to give up so many times.

My husband was very supportive and told me that he would be there for me no matter what I decided. I cried and cried when I thought about quitting but I was having such a hard time physically. My dr. told me not to be shameful if I quit, that I was being the best mom still and to not give myself a hard time.

It was/is also hard with having to pump/bf all the time. My son would not b/f in public (go figure!) or anywhere that he was not familiar. So I had to be at home, in his favorite chair, every three hours or so.

What I finally decided was to keep at it. This is one gift that I can give to my son right now that will benefit him for the rest of his life... but one that I can only give him now, while he is young.

Sometimes it is hard, like right now he is biting AND going through a nursing strike so I am forced to just pump all day long. I groan sometimes when I look at those pump parts and I think "gosh, I can't even remember what regular nipples feel like!" but in the end, I am happy knowing that I kept going.

I basically told my friends and family that they will see me in a couple years or so, because I made the choice to have a baby, and this is one of the things that comes along with it. Those who are understanding are understanding, those who aren't I don't really talk to much anymore. I would rather hang out with my baby anyways!

Good luck in your decision.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

It is totally a personal decision, but since you asked, I thought you might find this interesting http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/ar..._in_breastmilk

It states at the bottom of the article that the benefits of breast milk are not always apparent for decades, which means that what milk you do get into him is the most wonderful gift you can give him and will help provide lifelong health benefits that formula won't. I think as more and more research is done on the benefits of mama milk many people will understand the importance of it.

Again, it is a personal decision, but one that absolutely needs the utmost scrutiny, since it is an extremely important one.

I think most ppl here are on one end of the spectrum For me, breastfeeding became amazingly easier after about 4 months. My advice would be to try for another month and see how you feel then. GL with whatever you decide

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

First, to you. It sounds like you've been through a lot.

I gave up bfing my DD after some early problems and I do still regret it. I pumped and bottlefed her (with some formula supplementation) for a year, but I always wonder if maybe I had tried just one more time that would have been the time it clicked for us.

I'm afraid I don't have much info on the specific problems you are facing with supply and whatnot, but you've made it 4 months! Do you really want to quit now after all the hard work you've done to get yourself this far? I know the road looks endlessly long right now, but before you know it your LO will be starting solids, crawling, talking, walking, and going longer between nursings. You will have more time for yourself soon. Once you're through it, the first year feels like it flew by - even if it feels impossible going through it.

Good luck with your decision. Its not an easy one.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Breastfeeding gets easier, the older your lo gets. Honestly, there were times I felt ready to give it up. But, I got encouragement from this site and others. It helped me stay on track and looking back I am glad I am letting DD wean on her own time frame. If you are struggling to bf, maybe you can post what your issues are and get help with those or perhaps go see Dr. Newman again. I hear he rocks! Anyway, I would not recommend weaning at 4 months. I think there are so many benefits of bf and so many unknowns about formulas.

Why do you think you have to plan weeks ahead to go out while bf? I know I have to plan that far just to find a babysitter! But, that is unrelated. You can always pump so that your lo can have EBM when you go out. You really don't have to plan weeks ahead of time for that. Maybe you want to go ahead and get a stash started so that it is easier to just take up and go when you want. Most women find it is best to pump right after the first morning nursing session.

for making it as far as you have and I hope you decide to stick with it. It is an awesome experience.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

This it totally your decision and I'm not trying to guilt you at all, but this post made my tear up this morning...

I weaned my now 5 1/2 yr old DS at 6 months and at the time it seemed really sensible: I was going back to school, didn't want to have to worry about pumping, he was getting to be a distracted nurser.... Last night I was laying with him on his bed, singing his bedtime song, and DD2 was nursing in between us. He asked me if he nursed when he was a baby and how long and I told him that I nursed him until he was 6 months old and he had bottles after that. He said, "Why, Mommy? Did I want to stop nursing?" and I almost lost it right there. I had to say, "No, honey, but I thought it was the right thing to do at the time."

I agree with a lot of what the pps have said. I hope you make the choice that is right for you and your baby.

ETA: I can't believe my baby boy is 5 1/2. Your LO's babyhood will fly by. I also wanted to reiterate what a pp said about partial weaning. That would totally have been an option for me but I didn't realize it. Definitely something to consider!
    Last edited by @llli*mollyb; August 7th, 2008 at 09:17 AM.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on