Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do with stored milk?

Default What to do with stored milk?

I started pumping once a day when my boy was 3 weeks old. He is 8 weeks now. Primarily it was so my husband could give him a bottle once a day, to experience the joy of feeding him, and also to prepare him to take breastmilk from the bottle when I go back to work in 2 months.

It turns out, my fabulous Freestyle can get 10 oz in one pump session for me. So of course my body adjusted, and now if I don't pump, my breasts hurt.

Unfortunately, husband have not been able to give the baby the bottle on a consistent basis. Even when he does, baby only takes 1-2 oz per feeding, so I have 8 oz left over. So I figured I would just freeze the milk, in case I need to be absent for a few days or have some other emergency.

But now I am wondering- I have 5 weeks worth of frozen milk at 10 oz a day, or about 350 oz. I am going to work in 2 months, and if I continue at this rate, I will have over 900 oz frozen by then! I plan to pump at work, and continue breastfeeding at home, so he will be getting fresh milk then also. I am hoping to continue as long as possible, until a year at least.

Will he ever want the frozen milk? I think it can't be stored longer than 6 months.

Assuming my daily supply will not dwindle, what on earth will I do with all this frozen milk? Am I just crazy to continue the "what if" pumping? My mom says I can always add it to his food with it when he starts solids, and that it won't go to waste. I am afraid to stop pumping daily, because I am concerned the supply will drop too far down.

Default Re: What to do with stored milk?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dannysmom View Post
    Assuming my daily supply will not dwindle, what on earth will I do with all this frozen milk? Am I just crazy to continue the "what if" pumping? My mom says I can always add it to his food with it when he starts solids, and that it won't go to waste. I am afraid to stop pumping daily, because I am concerned the supply will drop too far down.
    Supply usually does change after a while. In the beginning I had more milk than I knew what to do with, then around 4-5 months it went down significantly.

I had a lot stored up and thought I would never go through it, but going back to work put a big damper on production too. But this is just what happened to me, your experience could be totally different.

And your mom is right. You can use it in cereals, momsicles, you name it when your LO goes to solids. I think it it helped our LO with the transition because he still had some of the same taste with all those new textures.

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My advice is to keep on pumping! I was overwhelmed with milk at first too! I used my freezer, my MIL's freezer and the one at DCP. Like pp said, my supply adjusted and dropped a little ay 5 months, then again at 9 months, and now at 1 year, I am struggling to keep up with demand!

Just rotate the milk you use from the freezer, it's good for 4 months or if you have a deep freezer, it is good in there for a whole year. My point is that your supply may ebb and flow and I wouldn't change your schedule banking on your supply staying this high and your LO eating such a small amount.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I've pondered this same question. I looked in to donating my milk to a local mother's milk bank. It makes me feel good to be able to help countless other children out there that also need breastmilk. I am so excited, I'm about to donate 250 oz!! I know that this isn't for everyone but it is just a suggestion.

Mom to a big baby boy!!

Collin Matthew born 4/27/08
    5 months- 17lbs