Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panicking-LO Suddenly won't latch on w/o SNS

Default Re: Panicking-LO Suddenly won't latch on w/o SNS

Hi Twins,
    I am using the smallest tube. I've only used this tube. She has recently been fussing less. I am now trying (maybe you want to try) not to release anything from the SNS until about 30 seconds from when she latches on. This way she doesn't get the instant flow. I think this may help with the SNS dependency. She started solids so she was having frequent stools that were hard little balls (I think she was constipated) until yesterday where she had a big breast milk diaper mixed with the avocado and banana I've been giving her. I hope that helps.
    I've also been wanting to tell you that it's still really great that you are feeding your LO at breast even if it's with an SNS or a Lactaid. I'm routing for you!

Thank you so much for writing back and for the encouragement. It certainly helps! I wanted to bf this little one so badly w/o the SNS. I am glad that your baby got a big bm diaper - yeah! How much supplement in ounces and how many times a day does your baby get? What was the most ever supplement your baby got? I think slowly decreasing is good news. I want to compare your situation to help in figuring out if I should ditch the Lact-Aid and go back to the SNS. Thanks again!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Hi Twins,
    I hope my reply doesn't get too long b/c I have a lot to say. My LO gets around 1-3 oz anywhere between 2-4 times a day. Usually a total of 8 oz per day. The most supplement she ever got was 15 oz in a day. Once I started the SNS, I went from 10-11 oz per day with a bottle to 8 oz per day and she gained an oz a day at this amount. Today, I was able to just giver her 5 oz (2 oz were EBM) and she got 7 really soaked diapers. I'm not counting on being able to only give her 5 oz per day b/c my supply goes up and down. I pump after every feeding where I supplement and then pump twice at night after she goes to bed. I got a really good tip that helped my LO latch properly instead of sucking like she would on a straw (which she started to do). It was to tape the tube on your breast barely past the nipple so that it goes onto the center of the bottom lip.
    I believe my supply has increased quite a bit. Here's why: I sort of gave up on EBF. I gave myself permission to not EBF and pat myself on the back for working this hard and giving my LO so much BM. I tell myself it's ok to give my LO formula if she's hungry. I spent so much time trying not to supplement that I was stressed out wondering if my LO was hungry all the time. Every time I supplemented I was disappointed. This put so much stress on me and it made me pretty unhappy. I prayed for the strength to stop being so sad, and the wisdom to know how and when to feed my LO and it worked. Now every time I supplement I'm ok with it. I give my LO a supplement every time I think she's hungry and I can't satisfy her. We are both happier now. I thought this approach would end up with my giving her more supplement, but I ended up giving her less. I guess what I'm saying is that being ok with your situation will most likely help your supply. I know how painful it is and I can really feel that from you. I promise you that being ok with what is happening feels so much better. I am really a different person. I will hope and pray that this gets better for you on all levels. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by @llli*xerex; October 7th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    I believe my supply has increased quite a bit. Here's why: I sort of gave up on EBF. I gave myself permission to not EBF and pat myself on the back for working this hard and giving my LO so much BM. I tell myself it's ok to give my LO formula if she's hungry. I spent so much time trying not to supplement that I was stressed out wondering if my LO was hungry all the time. Every time I supplemented I was disappointed. This put so much stress on me and it made me pretty unhappy. I prayed for the strength to stop being so sad, and the wisdom to know how and when to feed my LO and it worked. Now every time I supplement I'm ok with it. I give my LO a supplement every time I think she's hungry and I can't satisfy her. We are both happier now. I thought this approach would end up with my giving her more supplement, but I ended up giving her less. I guess what I'm saying is that being ok with your situation will most likely help your supply. I know how painful it is and I can really feel that from you. I promise you that being ok with what is happening feels so much better. I am really a different person. I will hope and pray that this gets better for you on all levels. Keep us posted.

Xerex, I am so happy to come here and read this. I cried just now knowing that things are better for you. I am sooo glad to hear you are feeling more at peace and confident in your mommy instinct!!

keep up the good work and please continue to update us Xerex and Twins!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I gave myself permission to not EBF and pat myself on the back for working this hard and giving my LO so much BM. I tell myself it's ok to give my LO formula if she's hungry. I spent so much time trying not to supplement that I was stressed out wondering if my LO was hungry all the time. Every time I supplemented I was disappointed. This put so much stress on me and it made me pretty unhappy. I prayed for the strength to stop being so sad, and the wisdom to know how and when to feed my LO and it worked. Now every time I supplement I'm ok with it. I give my LO a supplement every time I think she's hungry and I can't satisfy her. We are both happier now. I thought this approach would end up with my giving her more supplement, but I ended up giving her less. I guess what I'm saying is that being ok with your situation will most likely help your supply. I know how painful it is and I can really feel that from you. I promise you that being ok with what is happening feels so much better. I am really a different person. I will hope and pray that this gets better for you on all levels. Keep us posted.
    xerex, You really are amazing. I am inspired by your wisdom. I am so happy you found peace. You sound more confident and hopeful. That is because you are a wonderful mama!

I hope I can find the peace you did. Things are still stressful over here which does not help. Thank you for your guidance.
    2001 2004 2008

umbribyz
    I hope things get better. I'm routing for you

xerex, Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it.

I am going to switch to the red tube and was going to try your suggestion about the tube. Did you say tape it in the center of the bottom lip? Does the tongue get in the way when latching on? Suggestions? Thanks!
    2001 2004 2008

It was so wonderful to come here and read this. My computer has been acting up and I haven't been able to be on the past few days. Like you, I was so sad all of the time. I have prayed my heart out also about this and have been praying for wisdom in how to feed my little one. I am feeling drawn towards going back to the SNS and use the red tubes. It seemed that when I used them, my baby would take me more without them. The only thing was that my little guy would take FOREVER to feed and it was so exhausting at night. He would take about 50 minutes to feed. How long does your little one take to feed with the red tube? It sounds like your baby is older than mine. How many times a day does your baby feed? I think it sounds great that your baby is taking so little supplement - yeah! I think it is essential to pump after each feed. At how many weeks did you start pumping? I really appreciate you answering my questions. It really helps with my research in all of this. There are very little people out there that can relate to the SNS battle. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers that your supply will get up and up and then baby will eventually just take you. I know that Dr. Newman strongly believes that is the only way to get off of the tube. To get the supply WAY up so that baby is satisfied with mom. May God gives us all strength, victory, and guide our babies!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Hi umbribyz,
    I tape the tube to the bottom of my nipple so that it is right at the bottom center of my LO's lip. Technically it should be taped to the inner side of each nipple to achieve that position, but I found that taping it to the bottom of my nipple (below breast) works better.

Hi Twins,
    My LO doesn't take very long to feed from the red tube 15 min to get 2-3 oz tops. She is older though. I don't really count how many times my LO feeds, but it's at least every two hours and she nurses to sleep. At night and in the morning she cluster feeds for about 3 hours.
    I started pumping at two weeks-so a pretty long time.
    Let me know if I can help in any other way.
    Last edited by @llli*xerex; October 10th, 2008 at 12:56 AM.

That is interesting that you put the tube under the nipple. I have never heard of doing that. Maybe that is a good way to help baby get off of the tube? So right underneath - right? Do you extend the tube out at all or just to the tip? I just started using the small tube when baby is awake and alert to nurse. Not when sleep or else he gets too little and gets exhausted and wakes frequently. I noticed I drip on the opposite nipple when I use the small tube - yeah! Do you fill your SNS with only pumped milk or use formula too? That is great you have pumping since the early weeks. I only get about 1/4 oz - 1/2. I wish I got more. I have to supplement with formula and baby takes a lot! 4-5 oz. I am hoping to get my supply up!