Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panicking-LO Suddenly won't latch on w/o SNS

Unhappy Panicking-LO Suddenly won't latch on w/o SNS

I started using the SNS two weeks ago and everything was going well. I was able to reduce the amount of supplement I give my LO and I think she was getting more breast milk.
    Suddenly today she refuses to latch most of the time on unless I have the SNS on. I will offer her the breast and she will turn her head and cry. Then I offer with the SNS and she latches on.
    I'm also worried about my supply because I pump every time I use the SNS (about 2-3 times a day) and lately I've pumped absolutely nothing after feeding her. I usually also pump twice after putting her down at night and I'm getting about 1/2 oz less. Yesterday I had to supplement 4 times and ended up giving her 8 oz of supplement instead of the 5-6 oz I had been giving her for the past week. The only thing I can hope is that she's getting breast milk while at the SNS and that's why I'm pumping nothing. The only indication of that is that yesterday LO and I both got frustrated during the middle of a feeding so I gave her to my husband and pumped and got almost an oz.
    I'm so worried. I don't know what to do. I don't want to start having to use the SNS every time I need to feed her.

Default Re: Panicking-LO Suddenly won't latch on w/o SNS

I feel for you. I have been there with my twins and am there right now! It is a hard situation to be in. What tube are you using? If the medium (white) tube, go down to the smallest (red). I have found that my babies have always gotten more bm with the smallest tube. Then see after a while of using that tube, if your supply goes up and if baby will take you instead of the tube. You can try and cut off the tube in the middle of the feed. Unfortunately, the things you are describing I have found to be very common with using the SNS. I wish more was published on this! I think it is a dangerous tool to bf. I am now using the Lact-Aid to see if I have more success. I have read that women have liked it better. I have used it also in the past with my twins. I have found though that I got more bf stools with the smallest tube of the SNS. So far, I haven't gotten any with the Lact-Aid, so I might be going back to the SNS. I was having trouble with it though and that is why I switched. Baby was taking forever to feed such as an hour or so and I had no time to pump. Women have gotten off of the SNS by going to the smallest tube. So it might be hopeful for you. Let me know how it goes since I am in the same boat. Also, go to the Relactation section here. There is a woman who got off of the SNS. That might be encouraging to you. I am hoping for that as well! Best wishes to you!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

P.S. Also, try taking fenugreek and blessed thistle 3x's daily to see if that will up your supply. You might also want to consider taking domperidone for a few weeks. I might try that. I don't like medications. I am starting to get desperate though and might consider it. By getting the supply up, that can help baby to get off. I have read that taking 15 capsules of fenugreek can cause engorgement. I got slightly engorged once a few weeks ago on the fenugreek and baby amazingly took me without the tube and softened the breast! That was once. It would be nice if I got full all over and baby take all of me without the tube! May it happen for us both!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

P.S.S. I nursed my twins with the SNS for over 2 yrs as a result of them never being able to get off. I hated it, but at least they got some of me. It was a very hard sacrifice! Unfortunately, here I am going through the same thing with this same baby. He is only 3 months now. I am hoping I don't have to go through the same thing.

Suddenly today she refuses to latch most of the time on unless I have the SNS on. I will offer her the breast and she will turn her head and cry. Then I offer with the SNS and she latches on.
    Do you have the tube unclicked at the beginning? Do you think she wants the immediate flow or is just used to the tube in her mouth? Maybe try cutting off flow from time to time during feeding to get her used to your flow rate. Also, maybe pumping just enough to let-down and then latching her on so that she can have some flow right away? Also, you can slow the flow of the SNS by lowering the container. That and switching to a smaller tube as pp suggested would make her work harder...
    2001 2004 2008

Yes. These are all good things to do. Especially not having a flow immediately. That will help baby to not expect an immediate flow when nursing. Try these things and let us know how you are doing!

Hi xerex,
    How are you doing? Any better? Just thinking of you and hoping things are improving for you....
    Carrie
    2001 2004 2008

umbribyz thanks for checking in. I was waiting for my Dr's appt today to fill you all in.
    last week I felt it had been confirmed that I really won't be able to EBF. Weighed her at the doctor's and she only gained a half an oz in one week. Dr. was pretty disappointed and gave me the impression that he had lost hope that I could EBF. He wants me to start solids to avoid giving her more formula. He's hoping that would get her weight up. It did get her weight up b/c I didn't increase her supplement and she gained 7oz. That was great. I'm now just trying to make this situation as easy on myself and my LO as possible. Right now I'm supplementing with the SNS when she's hungry. She stopped refusing to latch on without it, she definitely gets excited when she sees me put it on though. She really fusses a lot when I use it so I may switch back to bottles. The only thing that stops me is that her weight gain tells me that she has been getting some of my milk through the SNS, and I do want to give her as much BM as possible. I figured I will do my best and try not to stress about it. I feel that I'm feeling a little better emotionally though and that is a really big step for me.

All we can do is our best and you are definitely doing that. I am so glad that you are feeling better. This can be such an ordeal. I am pulling for you! Keep us posted.
    2001 2004 2008

I am glad to hear that baby is latching now without the SNS. That is great! Are you using the smallest tube (red)? Please let me know. That will help me over here. I switched over to the Lact-Aid because my baby seemed to be not taking much from me and I heard the Lact-Aid stimulates the supply better. Baby is now latching less without the tube from using the Lact-Aid. Before my baby would many times while on the smallest tube of the SNS. So I am thinking about going back to that. Baby has been taking less formula though lately from the Lact-Aid. So I don't know what to do. The diapers still seem formula fed though. With my twins, even though they were hooked on the SNS, they had more breastfed stools. How does your baby's stools look? Do they look somewhat breastfed, pasty, or hard? Let me know. I am curious. That also can help to indicate how much bm baby is getting. Keep us posted and please let me know the answers to my questions. It helps me over here too!