Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone have a success story to share?

Default Anyone have a success story to share?

I am in need of a pick me up while looking for ways to get my lazy "sucker" to be more aggressive. My supply is starting to pick up (after A LOT of work), but I can't keep it up if he doesn't learn to work for it. He is already 10 weeks for goodness sakes! Anyway, anyone care to share? I could really use it today!

Default Re: Anyone have a success story to share?

awe your baby is very young yet!
    Many mothers would say they had a very tough time at that point.
    HEs going to grow and get the hang of nursing!

The problem is he hasn't grown until we found out that he hadn't gained any weight for 6 weeks and we started supplementing with the SNS cause my supply was NOTHING. Luckily I did find a good LC so I have a "system/process" to get my supply up, but he isn't learning to suck more than a few times and then he just lays there, even with the SNS on and the "reward" of a faster flow of milk. I guess I just need to see someone else's light at the end of the tunnel so that I know there will be one for me.

There is totally a light at the end of the tunnel. I had a horrible time when my daughter was a newborn. She had a bad latch, I had flattish nipples, and by the time she was 2 weeks old I had huge, gaping cracks and low milk supply (due to poor milk transfer) and I needed to supplement with formula because my child wasn't gaining weight. At 2 weeks old she was 1 oz over her birth weight.

I supplemented with formula. I pumped like a maniac- every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. I used a SNS. I took massive amounts of fenugreek and blessed thistle and even Reglan. I weighed my baby before and after feeding so I could figure out how much milk she was transferring during the course of a nursing session. For a long time she was taking in between 0.5 and 1.5 oz at a time at the breast, which is not nearly enough. I was exhausted. I cried all the time, convinced I was a failure as a mother and a woman.

By the time my daughter was 3 months old, my supply was adequate. My daughter was eating 2-2.5 oz at the breast, and was gaining weight nicely. I ditched the scale, the SNS, the herbs, the Reglan, and the pump. I still had the cracks, but I was determined to live with them until my child turned 1, at which time I swore up and down I would wean her.

At 4.5 months, the cracks healed. Nursing wasn't trouble-free- I still got milk blisters and plugged ducts from time to time- but it didn't make me scream in pain any more. At 1 year, I realized that I did not want to wean my child. Not only was nursing pain-free, but it was actually pleasant. My daughter will be 3 in March 2009, and she's still nursing.

Hang in there, Mama! Things will get better. One day you will look back and you will be amazed at how far you've come.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"