Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast milk and formula supplement

Default Breast milk and formula supplement

Hello , I just joined this website looking for some answers, I am a new mom of a 3 1/2 months old baby. I was only breast feeding until about 2 weeks ago, when visiting my family in Mexico, my son cries a lot ( getting better now) so my family thought that my baby was not getting enough milk, I took my baby to a Ped. and he suggested to breast feed and then give him some formula, he did not wanted the formula at first but he has been eating more and more formula, my problem is that I feel that my milk supply is getting very low, and I am afraid that I will dry up pretty soon, I wanted to breast feed my baby for at least a year, before this I felt my breasts full and I think that I may had made a mistake because, my baby has been gaining weight normaly, How do I increase my milk production? I want to go back to breast milk only, is that possible? Please help

Default Re: Breast milk and formula supplement

Welcome!!

The best thing to do is put your baby to breast as much as possible in order to increase your milk supply. kellymom.com states: "Nursing is a supply & demand process. Milk is produced as your baby nurses, and the amount that she nurses lets your body know how much milk is required. Every bottle (of formula, juice or water) that your baby gets means that your body gets the signal to produce that much less milk." This has excellent guidelines for weaning baby from supplements so that you back to only breastfeeding:

Weaning from Supplements

Weaning from formula supplements

and

Increasing Low Milk Supply

How much formula is he getting each day? How many time is he nursing? The more you give him formula, the lower your supply will get due to a decreased demand. So the key is to nurse him as often as possible. Maybe try a "nursing vacation" and just lay in bed with him over the weekend with lots of skin to skin contact, and lots of nursing. You can also try pumping in between or after each nursing to increase your supply. I'm sure other mom's will be along shortly who've had first hand experience with weaning from formula and can offer more advice. You can do this! Kudos to you for wanting to continue to give your baby the best in nutrition by continuing to breastfeed!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 10th, 2006 at 03:11 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you!! I have been so sad today, beacuse I really want to nurse my baby, I have been nursing him all day today, but he starts to get frustrated...any way, I will continue to do so, I really appreciate your quick response!..feelling pretty lonely out here..

Do you have a LLL group in your area? If so, you can call and talk to a leader for free and she can give you even more support and advice ... even meet with you in person if need be, and it's all free.

Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Please feel free to post here often ... there are some pretty amazing women here and always support and help available whenever you need it. I know how lonely it can be when you feel like you don't have much support and are struggling through breastfeeding difficulties, it can be heartbreaking. You should be proud of what a wonderful mama you are!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hola...me imagino que hablas español... quiero decirte que todas cometemos errores, no te sientas mal. Dale el pecho a demanda y veràs que poco a poco tu producciòn aumenta.
    saluditos.

Gracias Amy! espero que asi sea...mis papas me asustaron y ahora no tengo tanta leche, vamos a empezar poco a poco...
    saluditos a ti tambien!

Dear Paint the moonj
    Just wanted to thank you for the information and to let you know that I found a group here in houston! They meet every month, thank you!
    P.S. Addi's website is awsome!!! wow...very cool...you guys look great together! I would love to do something like that for my son...pretty amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Forrey'smommy
    Dear Paint the moonj
    Just wanted to thank you for the information and to let you know that I found a group here in houston! They meet every month, thank you!
    P.S. Addi's website is awsome!!! wow...very cool...you guys look great together! I would love to do something like that for my son...pretty amazing!
    I am so glad you will be getting some help and support from your local LLL group. Also, feel free to phone one of your leaders and get immediate advice over the phone instead of waiting till you attend the meeting ... that's what our LLL Leaders are here for!

And thank you so very much for the kind compliments. You are very sweet. I have a lot of fun putting together her web site.