Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating?

Question Donating?

Does any one here know where I can find out about donating milk? I have an over supply, but my son is only 3 months, so I'm not sure when would be a good time to start or even where to go. Will the bank help me get a good pump? Ant advice is great, thank you in advance!

(cross-posted in pumping forum)
    I'm a Renaissance loving mama to William, born June '08
    I'm going to college working on an associates degree, as well as preparing to move in with my boyfriend, who has become a loving father to my son

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~Rebecca West

Default Re: Donating?

I would call you local hospital..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Human Milk Banking Association of North America

http://www.hmbana.org/
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I wanted to thank you for posting this. I've been considering donating for a while but had no idea where to send it.

Thanks again! I'm going to finally have room in my freezer!

Good for you for donating your extra milk! Just think of all the premies in the NICU benefitting from this...

It was a huge relief to me to clear out my freezer, too. I had a huge amount piled up from when DD had emergency abdominal surgery at 6 days old and wasn't allowed to take anything orally during recovery. There was nothing I could do but cry and pump while she was in NICU (she's fine now). Some friends smiled and shook their heads and said, "oh, someday you'll need that milk, you'll be sorry" but they were *sooo* wrong. Once out of the hospital we matched supply and demand, and I never did lack. It was literally taking up half the freezer!

But, I wanted to warn you that the paperwork is a little tedious. It involves getting consent forms signed by your pediatrician and OB, and a blood test to make sure you don't have any nasty diseases, and a long questionnaire... and they have a minimum first donation size, since there are quite a few tests involved at their expense. But once you make it through the vetting process they are happy to take any quantity of extra milk whenever you've got it. And they even send thank-you notes

I'm hoping I'll have enough milk stored up by the end of the month to donate and still have an "emergency supply" of a few bags for DD. I have never given her stored milk before, but we are going on our first few trips out of town here soon to visit relatives and what not, so I might take some then just in case. Even so, I should have 100oz. in no time, and that's what the milk bank here requires for donation. No use letting that frozen milk go to waste if DD won't need it within 3 months!!

The possibility of donating makes me glad at times to have an oversupply of milk, even though it's a PINA at other times!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

I found that donating can be almost impossible depending on your doctors. Your doctor and babies doctor have to sign a health waiver on your behalf. Then you have to wait for the milk bank to send someone to you for bloodwork and then wait some more before you can donate. My doctors were never willing to sign the health waivers so we were unable to donate through a milk bank. We did find out about a place called Milkshare.com. It is a free ( for you and the ones receiving, unlike a bank where those getting your milk pay a big price for it). It is a site were you post what you are willing to donate and moms respond to your post. It is hard in one aspect, they are usually sick babies or moms and their stories are heartbreaking. It gets hard to pick on person to give to. I donated through them and gave to families, one who we shipped too and another local who came to my home and picked it up. It is nice though because you get to know who you are helping and they are genuinly greatful to you. Donating is very rewarding! I suggest you at least check out the site.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minerva View Post
    they were *sooo* wrong. Once out of the hospital we matched supply and demand, and I never did lack.
    It's not as much that they were wrong, it's that your situation ended up being different. I would have said the same thing too, because two of my freezers were full of milk and when I started back to work my supply changed so much that we went through all of it in a very short time. I still struggle with supply issues to this day.

That is awesome that you were able to donate so much! With my own baby in the NICU and seeing some moms that couldn't (or wouldn't) BF, it is so nice to know that moms like you are able to provide those resources!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    It's not as much that they were wrong, it's that your situation ended up being different. I would have said the same thing too, because two of my freezers were full of milk and when I started back to work my supply changed so much that we went through all of it in a very short time. I still struggle with supply issues to this day.

That is awesome that you were able to donate so much! With my own baby in the NICU and seeing some moms that couldn't (or wouldn't) BF, it is so nice to know that moms like you are able to provide those resources!
    I had 3 freezers full at 9 weeks and at 9 months was barely keeping up with demand so it happens pretty regularly.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language