Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating?

Question Donating?

Does any one here know where I can find out about donating milk? I have an over supply, but my son is only 3 months, so I'm not sure when would be a good time to start or even where to go. Will the bank help me get a good pump? Ant advice is great, thank you in advance!
    I'm a Renaissance loving mama to William, born June '08
    I'm going to college working on an associates degree, as well as preparing to move in with my boyfriend, who has become a loving father to my son

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~Rebecca West

Default Re: Donating?

I donate to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio. We don't live very close (we live in PA), but it's the closest to us. It's a long process to donate - it takes about a month. Once you let them know you're interested, they do a phone interview. Then you fill out a bunch of paperwork, get blood drawn, etc. After the go-ahead, you can start donating. The minimum is 100oz.

I started when LO was around 2.5-3 months. They send me 4oz containers to freeze the milk in and a container to ship it overnight to their facility. They also took the milk I had frozen previously in bags. They are pretty tight about the health requirements though, but definitely find the one closest to you and give them a call. I'm not sure about the pump - we already had one, so I didn't ask. I've read that some banks help you with that though, so maybe it just depends. Good luck!!

(I would make sure you have some in the freezer though to keep for LO just in case!)

http://www.hmbana.org/
    Rene, first time mom to born 6/13/08

since day 1!

Donated 684oz (so far) to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio

I agree with PP about HMBANA, I think they are the most reputable place to donate milk to. There are some places that are kind of shady out there I think. HMBANA is non-profit.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Are you going to be going back to work?

I had a TON of milk frozen from when LO was in the hospital and then right after we came home. Something like 300-400 ounces. Then when I went back to work and had to pump throughout the day, not to mention my supply regulating at around 4 months, we ended up going through all of the milk that I had stored.

It may seem like a lot now, but just make sure you have one for your LO. JM2C
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

HMBNA...that's who I use.
    But, as pp said make sure you still have enough for LO...now that DD is older and I am only pumping I am using the freezer stash b/c my body isn't producing as much. I haven't donated in a while.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Yeah, I wouldn't donate it now. But if you find you're keeping up with demand, you can donate some of your stored stuff at a later date (but keep track of any illness or medications you're taking).

Thanks for the advice. i am not working and wont be untill febuary or so, and even with a pump as old as my siblings, 16 yrs, i was able to get 3 oz from one side in 15 mins, so should i just start builing a supply in my freezer and note my health in a journal? i am hoping that once i recive WIC they can help me get an efficent pump.
    I'm a Renaissance loving mama to William, born June '08
    I'm going to college working on an associates degree, as well as preparing to move in with my boyfriend, who has become a loving father to my son

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute." ~Rebecca West

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*renniemama View Post
    Thanks for the advice. i am not working and wont be untill febuary or so, and even with a pump as old as my siblings, 16 yrs, i was able to get 3 oz from one side in 15 mins, so should i just start builing a supply in my freezer and note my health in a journal? i am hoping that once i recive WIC they can help me get an efficent pump.
    Usually if I have bags that I have pumped when I'm sick or taking any medication (like an advil for a headache) I just make a note on there "DD" for don't donate, so when I'm sending the milk bank a cooler I can make sure not to include it.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine