Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing marathon.

Default Nursing marathon.

I am not sure if I belong in the *relactating* side anymore, but this is where I want to update!

I have been getting about 12 oz of BM a day with Hand expression. But I couldn't get him to eat it from me.

for 5 days he refused me
    So Today I started a sort of nursing marathon I am calling it. NO bottles at all.
    He had a bottle at 3 am this morning but that was it. this morning I nursed him.
    then expressed 2.5 oz. (usually I get at least 5.5 oz in the morning so I know he ate good)

then we napped and that is when i decided to do this

he had ate off of me all day, at first he struggled a bit but now is doing great at accepting me. even taking my right breast with the capsular contraction that is harder to latch too. I just want to get this to work. and it's been 2 months now, so i figure i need to just go for it . so we are !

just at 4:30 this afternoon I gave him about an oz from a dropper. It was MUCH easier then I thought that would be! but it worked!

he has still been a happy smily boy all day!
    I really hope this helps either a. build my supply up enough
    but MAINLY i want him to nurse from me and so far so good!

any other advice? the only dificult part is keeping my almost 2 year old busy while we are stuck inside but he is doing well as well!

where is everyone else at as well? any updates?

thanks for the help and support!

Default Re: Nursing marathon.

Awesome job! I'm so glad it's working out for you!

I'm just starting to feel better about my PPD so I'm hoping that now that means I can get serious about the relactation. I have so much trouble pumping when DS is super fussy.

Anyways, your story is uplifting for someone like me. Congrats on your success and I hope that I am in the same place a few months from now!

Thank you goodluck to you! I hope it works! it just takes a lot of patience

. I am sooo worried he will not be getting enough to eat though! He had 1 bottle at 6 pm last night. i caved because i was worried but used a medela bottle nipple that he hates and he ate that . i offered more later and he refused and BF to sleep. then this morning and all night he BF at his usual times so i would THink if he was hungrier then usual he would of woken more?

i tried to give him more since it has beeen 15 hours since his supplement and he took only 1 oz. he is all smiles and happy.

i know with my Hand expression I could get at least 12 oz a day so i am sure he gets at least a little more then that.

i am just soooo paranoid that he won't get enough to eat!

he is such a happy baby you never know if anything is wrong!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Just keep an eye on his diaper output. I'm sure he's getting enough! If he wasn't, I'm sure he'd be cranky and eat more!

The baby is more efficant than a pump or your hand expression so it's very likely he's getting enough.

Best of luck! Keep us updated! I love hearing how this is going for you! It gives me something to look forward to!

Sending lots of hugs and good vibes your way!

thanks! I finally gave in and had to give him some supplements. he was really cranky This time I knew he was hungry KWIM? His diapers were getting really dry though. I tried to hand express and couldn't get more then a few sprays. i feel really deflated too. weird? I have breast implants so I have had the easiest time knowing when my milk was in and when it's not that full if that makes sense!

I am hoping to only have to give 1-2 supplements a day and slowly decrease them. I know we had to have made some progress in these past 2 days though! I hope it worked! I am hoping he will now nursing at night no problems!

it's jsut weird that after all this time he is starting to fight me

I guess just so you know what to look forward too, sometimes we make so much progress then we take a few steps back again, but it gets better slowly!

goodluck to you still! I hope you get here as well!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Just keep nursing him before offering the formula. Your body has to make up the difference and just like with a normal growth spurt, it can take some time for your body to get the message that it needs to make more milk. As long as he continues to nurse and you continue expressing, then your milk production should catch up.

BTW, I have friends who BF so that's how I know that it normally can take 12 hours or so for your body to get the message about incresed demand.

You have made great progress so far! What an awesome mommy you are! That little guy is lucky to have a mama who is working so hard to give him what is best.

You'll get there... Trust your babies cues when he's hungry and do what you have to do. Have you met with an IBCLC to learn how to properly use an SNS? I think that would help you greatly at this point. They can help you learn how to use it properly. I know you had issues with it in the past but maybe some help from someone will make a difference?

Best of luck! I'm watching this thread for updates! You'll be EBF before you know it!