Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storing and Feeding for Exclusively Pumping

Default Storing and Feeding for Exclusively Pumping

Hey Everyone! I am a newbie and love all the information I am getting from these forums, so thanks in advance! I was wondering.... I am exclusively pumping since my lo doesn't seem to latch on very well and it is going great. I pump every four hours and get about 7oz each time I pump. So I am ahead of the game with milk for my lo but am wondering how I should be storing and feeding the breastmilk. Should I give him fresh milk that I have expressed that day or should I express the milk, refrigerate it and give him the older milk first? Just wondering what process others were doing who are exclusively pumping or if I can get some good expert advice. I am just starting to save it in bags of 4ozs now since that is what sounds like is best but I do have several bags of 7oz more or less in one bag in the refrigerator. I am getting to the point where my oldest milk is 4 days old.. so that is why I'm wondering what I should be doing.. freezing, etc.

I know it's ok for the milk fat to separate but is it ok for me to slightly warm the bag to get the milk back together and then refrigerate for feedings within 24 hours? And one last question, I do feel like some of my milk has lipase or smells like it at least but my lo doesn't have any problems drinking it. Is that ok? Thanks so much for any help. I am so excited about giving breastmilk to my lo!! Have a wonderful day!

Default Re: Storing and Feeding for Exclusively Pumping

I don't have any advixe about lipase, sorry. But I do pump at work as my LO is bottle fed with EBM during the day. I have 2 weeks worth of milk stored away and I rotate it, freezing the freshest milk and giving my daycare provider the oldest milk first. A couple of questions before I continue:

Where are you storing it? Conventional freezer (refrigerator)? Deep freezer? This is important as the shelf life of BM varies depending on where you're storing it. Here are general guidelines for storage.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2jordan View Post

I know it's ok for the milk fat to separate but is it ok for me to slightly warm the bag to get the milk back together and then refrigerate for feedings within 24 hours?
    You shouldn't even need to warm it to get it back together. I never warm our LO's milk, I just shake it vigorously a few times and it blends back just fine, even straight from the fridge.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I am currently keeping it in the back of the refrigerator since I'm only about 4 days ahead right now. But I am working on a plan to start freezing it in a regular freezer. That's why i was wondering what to do with giving fresh milk that same day or using the oldest milk first and rotating. Thanks so much for all of your answers so far!! I look forward to more!!