Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Now I don't have enough milk in 1 breast...I am a mess

Default Now I don't have enough milk in 1 breast...I am a mess

Over the past 2.5 weeks, I've managed to reduce my milk supply in my left breast (when I pump) from over 10 oz to less than 4 oz. I am nervous that this isn't enough -my left breast started staying soft between feedings yesterday (and it only felt soft after feeding LO for the very first time on Tuesday!). I just pumped because I was concerned about it staying soft between feedings and I pumped less than 4 oz. And moreover, this is only 1 breast - if I were to pump from my right breast, I would probably have 10ish oz.

So now I need to decrease supply in 1 breast and increase supply in the other breast. I have cabbage on my oversupply breast as we speak. It leaks continuously so milk is removed throughout the day so I'm thinking of not feeding LO from this breast at all today (or longer?). Any ideas for increasing supply in 1 breast and while decreasing in the other?

From a superficial perspective, my breasts are significantly different sized now (oversupply breast = 32k, lower supply breast = half that size?) and I'm in a wedding next weekend. The dress is at the tailor and I'm sure fit is going to be an issue now so any quick fixes would be appreciated.

Default Re: Now I don't have enough milk in 1 breast...I am a mess

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*giuli View Post
    Over the past 2.5 weeks, I've managed to reduce my milk supply in my left breast (when I pump) from over 10 oz to less than 4 oz. I am nervous that this isn't enough -my left breast started staying soft between feedings yesterday (and it only felt soft after feeding LO for the very first time on Tuesday!). I just pumped because I was concerned about it staying soft between feedings and I pumped less than 4 oz. And moreover, this is only 1 breast - if I were to pump from my right breast, I would probably have 10ish oz.

So now I need to decrease supply in 1 breast and increase supply in the other breast. I have cabbage on my oversupply breast as we speak. It leaks continuously so milk is removed throughout the day so I'm thinking of not feeding LO from this breast at all today (or longer?). Any ideas for increasing supply in 1 breast and while decreasing in the other?

From a superficial perspective, my breasts are significantly different sized now (oversupply breast = 32k, lower supply breast = half that size?) and I'm in a wedding next weekend. The dress is at the tailor and I'm sure fit is going to be an issue now so any quick fixes would be appreciated.
    Are you now trying to increase supply on the left and decrease on the right?

The only thing I know to suggest is pumping to increase and not pumping/using cabbage to decrease. I wish I had more ideas.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

I'm dealing with the same issue. My right breast makes about 6-7 oz. every 4-6 hours and my left breast makes half that. It was making even less after my work week (1-2 oz.) Yuck! I'm not sure what to do, either and am looking for answers. I have been pumping to increase left side and trying to reduce engorgement in left side. let me know what you find out!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

This is unbelievable but now the situation has switched! For 2 days, I fed LO off of only the lower supply breast and tried to go as long as possible without relieving the supply in the oversupply breast (I would leak > 3 oz every time I fed from the lower supply breast so milk was fairly continuously released from the oversupply breast). Yesterday midday, it really seemed like LO wasn't getting enough to eat so I decided to offer the oversupply breast after feeding him from the lower supply breast. He drained it rapidly (> 3 oz had already filled the breast pad when I was feeding from the same side but this is the first time he had ever emptied this breast). About 3 hours later, I could feel pressure like my milk coming in the formerly lower supply breast AND the formerly oversupply breast stayed soft! I'm in the exact opposite situation but feel a lot better because I am obviously not permanently drying up and the extreme size difference apparently isn't permanent.

Now if I could only get them both to have a moderate supply (to get away from the engorgement pain of oversupply) and to be relatively the same size...my plan this time around is to do kind of a modified block schedule where I feed him in blocks on the now lower supply breast with maybe every 3rd feeding from the now oversupply breast in hopes that they will level off and and then I can just alternate breasts. Wish me luck!

Yeah, all the best. I have a crazy situation because I can only pump once at work and then I block feed in the evenings, night and weekends...hence interesting issues with my boobs! Hope you can moderate yours quickly!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*giuli View Post
    This is unbelievable but now the situation has switched! For 2 days, I fed LO off of only the lower supply breast and tried to go as long as possible without relieving the supply in the oversupply breast (I would leak > 3 oz every time I fed from the lower supply breast so milk was fairly continuously released from the oversupply breast). Yesterday midday, it really seemed like LO wasn't getting enough to eat so I decided to offer the oversupply breast after feeding him from the lower supply breast. He drained it rapidly (> 3 oz had already filled the breast pad when I was feeding from the same side but this is the first time he had ever emptied this breast). About 3 hours later, I could feel pressure like my milk coming in the formerly lower supply breast AND the formerly oversupply breast stayed soft! I'm in the exact opposite situation but feel a lot better because I am obviously not permanently drying up and the extreme size difference apparently isn't permanent.

Now if I could only get them both to have a moderate supply (to get away from the engorgement pain of oversupply) and to be relatively the same size...my plan this time around is to do kind of a modified block schedule where I feed him in blocks on the now lower supply breast with maybe every 3rd feeding from the now oversupply breast in hopes that they will level off and and then I can just alternate breasts. Wish me luck!
    Wow. You win this week's prize for most responsive breasts. Oh, that's right. We don't have prizes.

Seriously, I am glad that you're seeing changes and that you are feeling relieved that your one breast is not drying up and hopeful that your breasts will not always be so different in size. It seems that your breasts are especially sensitive to small changes.

Thanks for keeping us posted! Good luck.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I cant imagine how frustrating that is for you. Thank god I have never had that problem. Wish you the best of luck

Mine acted so weird over the weekend - one breast was only making about 1 oz. when I pumped on Friday afternoon - and by Sunday was engorged! So weird. Now, I'm back to one breast produces twice as much as the other. Whew!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months