Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep problems.. breast as pacifier

Default Re: Sleep problems.. breast as pacifier

I think it's possible that he was a colicy baby even though you BF because Annabella was kind of that way.. and they say colic "clears up" a bit after 4 months or so.. so he could just be really gassy! Also.. I would keep him on the B if he is screaming when you take him off... Is he actually eating or usually just sucking softly but not enough for milk to come out?? I love babies, I don't have much better advice to offer apart from agreeing stronly with most feedback here already.. Cosleeping is wonderful and I won't give that up until she's at least a year or two.. when she and I are both ready and I believe we will both know when that time comes, we'll work together on it like we do everything else, and I do believe I couldn't get ANY sleep if I had her away from me during the night.., that's just the way I am about it. Goodluck to you, hang in there, and like everybody says it will get better! They're only this little for so short of time.. =(
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

My DD is the same way. She wants the boob in her mouth the whole time she is sleeping. *sometimes* I can sneak away, but she invariably wakes the next time she rolls over and the boob isn't there.

I'm just learning to accept that she is a boob monster!

Seriously though, I'm getting lots of rest, DD is a happy and cheerful baby when she's up. My only complaint is that I have almost zero time alone with my DH (DD won't take a bottle, and we live an hour's drive from our families). I figure this won't last forever, and what we're doing is really working for her, so why change it?

Oh, and the weight thing isn't true for us. DD was born at 7.5 lbs and is only 14.5 lbs at six months!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Last edited by @llli*dcpatri; January 1st, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: duplicate

Personally, I think it's unrealistic to constantly comfort a baby with a breast. There are many tools besides a breast that help a baby feel loved and comforted...softly speaking to them, singing, holding tightly, offering a finger/passy to suck, walking/rocking.

For me, I find that it's only comfortable to feed my baby lying in bed for about 15-20 minutes, then my back/neck/hip start to bother me, so I would certainly not get any good sleep. Also, I have twins, so I simply don't have the luxury of offering both children a breast as often as they want something in their mouth to suck. I have to be more creative.

That said, I do have one very demanding baby, and she likes to nurse much more often than her sister. She is very fussy with sleeping and really difficult to put down for naps. But what I'm learning about her is that what happens at night is very much related to what happened during the day. So, my advice to the mom who posted this good question...I'd check out the days activities to see what it's like for your baby. Is she getting too much stimulation? Is there enough winding down at night? Some babies like things calm and quiet (soft voices, no music, no vibrating things, no rattles shaken in their faces), and they like to be carried (in slings or in arms). It's good to make sure that your babe is getting good day time sleep (good sleep leads to good sleep)...as often as s/he wants to sleep. By good, I mean not in a mall or a car seat, but in a bed or snuggled up to you. Also, some babes want total darkness for sleep, and some white noise, like a humidifier.

We found that a lengthy bed time ritual helps. We lower lights and sounds at 6pm, a quiet relaxing bath at about 100 degrees, brief massage in a warm area of the house where we dress them, nursing, a tight swaddle, burp briefly if needed, and cribs. We rarely hear more than a peep after these steps.

Anyway, lots of thoughts...I hope you find it helpful. Best of luck. Hang in there!!
    Last edited by @llli*dcpatri; January 1st, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

With all due respect to pp, I find the comment that to "constantly" pacify a baby with the breast is "crazy", offensive. Pacifiers were modeled after...hmmmm...human nipples! The breast is the original pacifier, and to use it as such is completely fitting. I do agree that there are other ways to comfort babies, and I use those methods as well, but there are times when only the breast will do. This will, no doubt, be handy when my DD is a toddler and needs comforting for other reasons (sick, scraped knee etc), but yes, it can be a little taxing for Mom when baby needs her so much.

I really feel that we ask a lot of babies to "fit" into our lifestyles, and we tend to stress a little when our babies demand that those lifestyles change a bit. If we really think about it, surely we expect that we have to adjust for the new little person in our lives, but it's easy to lose sight of the fact that babies grow quickly, and their needs change. What a baby needs now may not be the case in three months, or six months...kwim?

Also, IME Mamas to twins are a little more laid back about some things because they have to be. You only have two hands and there are times when you have to choose which child to comfort, or comfort first. I kind of envy that experience, because I think it teaches you that the world doesn't end when your baby cries for a few minutes. But as the parent of one baby, I don't let her cry if I can avoid it at all. And I let her nurse on demand. All night long. So far it's inconvenient, but not a problem. If it gets to be one, I'll have to revisit.

Anyhow, long and rambly post. Hope that made sense.
    Jess

I think that dcpatri is correct when she says that it's unrealistic to constantly comfort a baby by nursing. I say that because I've learned it first-hand. With my first, it was the approach that felt right (for both of us), especially when you look at different cultures.

With a baby and a toddler, though, it just doesn't work all the time (e.g. if you can't nurse in a sling, etc). We nurse on demand all night but finding it tough to be a responsible mom to toddler during the day and also minimize baby crying.

I guess other soothing techniques are the answer ... maybe I'm just lazy and the boob is so fast and easy!

"unrealistic" replaced "Crazy" in dcpatri's post.

I agree that it's not always realistic, or even possible. I took offense to "crazy".
    Jess

Yes I did change the word, "crazy" ---didn't mean to offend, so I just wanted to tone it down a bit. Sorry.