Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: correct latching

Question PLEASE: correct latching

Can a baby with a displaced tongue latch correctly? I want to start working on getting my LO to latch, but I don't want to frustrate her and myself if you need the tongue to latch well. DD's bottom jaw is recessed so her tongue doesn't reach her lips (it has full range of motion though). But it gets pretty close to the tips of her gums.
    Will this make it harder to latch or even totally impossible? Like I said, I don't want to put her through this if its just going to be a frustrating experience for us both!

Thanks as always for answering my weird questions! God bless!
    Last edited by @llli*katholicchik; December 31st, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well

Default Re: correct latching

While I don't have the answer, I can say that you could benefit from trying. Don't push the issue; if you see her (or you) getting frustrated, just stop and do the bottle. Pretend like it's just casual and it's fine that she doesn't take it. This way her association with the breast will stay positive and you can try again another time.

Default Re: correct latching

thanks for an answer even if you dunno for sure.

Yeah I have no clue how her tongue will affect bottle feeding either. I guess I will see when we get there. For now I think I have decided on the shield since the only thing she will let in her mouth is her paci. We'll work on it though!
    pumping sucks
    But I'm EPing for my baby girl!
    Josie Grace -- 9/9/2008
    Heart Baby
    with Interrupted Aortic Arch (repaired at 2 weeks old), large cleft palate and G-tube with no oral feeding -- yet! But soon!

***Josie had her heart cath 2/12 and had perfect results! She is doing very well