Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pacifier question

Default pacifier question

I started my baby on a pacifier in the hospital. I didn't know about the confusion that it can create until I checked out this website a couple days ago.

I have reduced the amount of times I offer him his nuk, but I still give it to him sometimes when I notice that he is just suckling and not actively drinking which is at the very end of a nursing session. Is this ok?

For people that use pacifers and bf what are your techniques?

Default Re: pacifier question

I'm breastfeeding and bottle feeding expressed BM with my 6 weeks old and also giving him the pacifer occcasionally and i don't notice any nipple confusion. i also breastfed my 2 year old and used the pacifer. no nipple confusion there either.

We started around 10 days with the paci and 3 weeks with the bottle. No problems here...but we never had problems to begin with either.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

As PP have shown with their experiences, many babies are able to go back and forth between bottle/pacifier and the breast and have no nipple confusion. On the other hand, some babies do start to prefer the artificial nipples and mothers have a long struggle to get them back on the breast. Each mother really has to weigh the risk versus the benefits and decide what she's comfortable with for her baby.

One other element to consider with very young babies using pacifiers is that any amount of sucking (whether active or the "sleepy" sucking at the end of a session you referred to) helps your body learn how much milk it needs to make for your baby. In some cases, pacifier use has been linked to low supply because the mother's body is not getting all the sucking messages it requires. I think the recommendation to hold off on pacifiers and bottles until around six weeks is based on this idea. Other women have an abundant supply, with or without pacifier use at any age.
    Nicole

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

NUK is THE most commonly associated pacifier to give babies nipple confusion. Orthodontic tips (like NUK has) are dangerous for nipple-confusion-prone babies.

Soothie is a great choice for pacifiers as far as reducing nipple confusion chances go.

But if your LO is going back and forth easily, you probably don't have anything to worry about. If you notice smacking, clicking, or other latch problems in the future, you might think about switching to Soothie.

Good luck, mama!

Nicole made a good point and I should clarify...

We introduced the paci at 10 days but really limited its use to the car. Any time she needed comfort (besides driving) it was done at the breast. All of her sucking needs were satisfied there until she started sucking her thumb around 4 months. We actually pushed the paci a little more to try to discourage thumb sucking...though I'm not sure we're being successful at that

As for the bottle...DD gets 1 bottle of EBM a week while I'm at my Bible Study and then every once in a while if we go out on a date....we don't just give bottles all the time, you know?

So I'd say be cautious about the paci and how often/what you use it for. Other than that, you should be fine!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My DD1 never took a paci but I also never introduced it b/c of major latch issues. I didn't give my DD2 a paci until she was 3 or 4 weeks and introduced it for use of car rides, etc. DD3 was 3 weeks or so when I introduced it. I had to do this b/c she started to get "mad" at the milk when all she wanted to do was comfort suck. As she got a little older she would unlatch when she was done eating and open her mouth(w/o opening her eyes) and wait for me to put her paci in. She still does this. I think it's important to use the breast as the main source of comfort in the first 2-3 months of life. As they get older its not usually as much of a concern, they know when they want milk or just the paci.

we didn't introduce a paci (a.k.a. "bink") until 3 weeks and DS barely ever takes it and never from me and he usually spits it out in about 5 minutes. He much prefers the breast. DH calls me "mommy the giant bink." We just started a bottle yesterday (5 weeks), so he's only had one so far, so we don't know how that's going to go, but at least he would take it.
    Mom to Jack 11/27/08 (Our Thanksgiving Baby!)

The ideal thing is to wait until the baby is BFing without any issues and you are not noticing any trouble with latch or discomfort. If there is anything going on (weight issues with baby, latch, sore nipples) hold off on the pacifier/bottle. Every baby is different and some never have issues from day one, others can never have anything but breast. Watching the babies weight, diaper output and any changes in nursing are the best ways to tell.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work