Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fixing toddler latch

Default fixing toddler latch

Any tips for fixing a toddler's bad latch much appreciated!

After over 2 years of mostly unblemished nipples, I recently ended up with a sore on one nipple that has broken skin. It's healing okay (and I'm getting lots of sympathy from DH), but I'm trying to prevent this from happening again.

Ouch ouch ouch!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: fixing toddler latch

No advice, but..Joshua has been latching very lazy lately, and I have experienced some soreness.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I dunno. My toddler does that too. I either pull on her lips to make sure they are properly on/around the nipple or I unlatch and latch her back on. If she is pulling I make her sit still or be done. I can't take the pain!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Answering my own question ...

I tried having DS sit in different positions (which would change the pressure points on my breast). Nope - DS didn't like that at all.

I made a little game of having DS latch on with a "big mouth" (with me demonstrating with my mouth open wide). That DS was quite willing to do. It still hurt some, but got his teeth off the wound which then healed up pretty quickly.

Phew!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I can get LO to open her mouth wide, but cannot get her to cover her teeth with her tongue. However, I've found that position does matter (can no longer nurse lying down ) and I ask her to relatch if it's especially painful. I even got really mad the other day when she bit me on purpose--probably the first time ever. She got upset at me, but Daddy was home and she got distracted. It's hard to feel mad at her, but (pregnant) nursing a small toddler just isn't as much fun as nursing a smaller baby...

-Reena
    due Mid-March
    Sarah's daughter z"l - Rich's wife b"l - Sarit's (27 March 2007) mother am"v
    Self Proclaimed Baby Wearing Fanatic
    ing our cloth diapers

I nursed my toddler all throuhg my pregnancy and it was really painful at times and didn't bother me at all others. It's mostly about hormonal fluctuation and sensitivity. I found that I couldn't do it for as long, because when she started to get lazy, her teeth would then really dig in. I started counting when I needed her to be done. I'd say, "Ok, sweetie, we're gonna be done when I count to 10, one, two...." Now, she pullso ff at three or four and goes on with her day.

Best of luck with tandem nursing.