Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to work to reduce OS in 1 breast?

Default How to work to reduce OS in 1 breast?

Hello. I have had some success over the past 2 weeks with reducing the pain from engorgement/clogs associated with OS by nursing only on 1 side, block feeding, oral contraceptives, etc, however, 1 breast remains an issue. I could actually live with my left at this point. My right continues to become engorged regularly. I think the difference could be caused by the fact that my right breast leaks a lot of milk. I continuously fill up breast pads all day and night (based on a little test I did, I think my breast pads hold ~3 oz and I often leak so much they overflow and it's all over my shirt).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce OS on one side only?

I'm thinking of trying not to nurse at all on the right side tomorrow and try not purposely to remove any milk. (Of course, a great deal will leak.) I don't want to increase the milk production in my left breast so I could use frozen expressed milk for every other feeding. If you think this is a good idea, how many days should I keep this up?

Thank you for all of your help.

Default Re: How to work to reduce OS in 1 breast?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*giuli View Post
    Hello. I have had some success over the past 2 weeks with reducing the pain from engorgement/clogs associated with OS by nursing only on 1 side, block feeding, oral contraceptives, etc, however, 1 breast remains an issue. I could actually live with my left at this point. My right continues to become engorged regularly. I think the difference could be caused by the fact that my right breast leaks a lot of milk. I continuously fill up breast pads all day and night (based on a little test I did, I think my breast pads hold ~3 oz and I often leak so much they overflow and it's all over my shirt).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce OS on one side only?

I'm thinking of trying not to nurse at all on the right side tomorrow and try not purposely to remove any milk. (Of course, a great deal will leak.) I don't want to increase the milk production in my left breast so I could use frozen expressed milk for every other feeding. If you think this is a good idea, how many days should I keep this up?

Thank you for all of your help.
    It occurs to me that perhaps using cabbage leaves on your right breast could be helpful sa you try your plan. Take a green cabbage leaf, crush it, then open it back up and place it on your breast inside your bra. When it no longer feels cool and soothing, you remove it and can replace it with another. Cabbage leaves help relieve engorgement, and if used long enough, it is said they will make your milk go away.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader