Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I tell if there is hindmilk when I pump?

Default Can I tell if there is hindmilk when I pump?

Is there anyway to tell if I am getting to the hindmilk when I pump?

About a week ago, I thought that I had fixed my oversupply issue by block feeding, but now I am not so sure. I went back to work this week and thus, have been pumping more often. Today, I noticed that after pumping 4.5 ounces, I still had very clear milk spraying out of the top of my nipple. There also seemed to be a thicker looking milk dripping out of the bottom of my nipple, but there was much more of the clear milk coming out. Is the thicker milk the hind milk? Is there any way to tell how much hind milk I get in the bottle?

My baby has been drinking 4 ounces from a bottle, but I have no problem getting more than that when I pump.

I also still have overactive letdown with the first morning feeding on each side (we have been feeding in the side lying position to avoid problems with the overactive letdown). I think the letdowns with the subsequent feedings are also strong, but it is only in the morning that she pulls off to avoid the spraying.

Default Re: Can I tell if there is hindmilk when I pump?

The thicker white milk is the hindmilk.

But I notice that my milk changes a couple times throughout the day. My morning milk is usually lighter and thinner (the bluish tint) but I get more of it, then throughout the day it is thicker and more white.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

That was my experience as well. it would change through the day. You can definitely tell after the milk has been refrigerated- the fat seperates out and sits on top.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for your quick responses. Do you know how much hindmilk there should be at the top of the bottle after it is refrigerated?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtney8 View Post
    Thanks for your quick responses. Do you know how much hindmilk there should be at the top of the bottle after it is refrigerated?
    It just depends too. Sometimes I have a thick band that I have to shake and shake to get mixed back in, sometimes it is thinner. I think it just changes as your body and the needs of your LO changes. You're just always constantly making milk exactly as they order!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

It really depends, I think. How much is in the bottle, how long it sat, etc.

I think the best way to judge whether your baby is getting enough of it is by watching his poops and tummy aches.

Symptoms of too much foremilk:
    Frequent watery bowel motions (can often be green in color but not always)
    Bowel motions often have a slightly to very offensive odor
    Bowel motions could be frothy or 'explosive' (shoot out with force)
    Bloating
    Cramps
    Excessive gas
    Irritability/screaming
    Sleeplessness or wakefulness
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous