Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 4 month old has not pooped in 6 days!!

Default My 4 month old has not pooped in 6 days!!

My 4 month old son has had problems having regular bowels since he has been born. He is breast-fed and also drinks between 4-6 ounces of Soy Formula a day. I work full-time and am trying to get him off the breast milk and strictly on the bottle. Three wks ago I had to take him back to his doctor for the third time for the bowel problem, the doctor gave him a suppository and told me to switch his formula to soy and to bring him back if he didn't have a bowel in 3 days. Well he didnt have a bowel for 5 days, but then all of a sudden he was pooping at least twice a day for a week straight! I was happy thinking we had finally resolved the problem. Then suddenly he didn't go for 8 days last Friday and I had to give him another suppository. Today we are now at day 6 no poop. Help!!!

Default Re: My 4 month old has not pooped in 6 days!!

soy formula has been known to be extremely constipating...
    i would recommend switching to a hypoallergenic formula like alimentum or nutrimagen. they are "easy to digest" and make poops pretty loose.

I have already switched his formula twice before. Will it be okay to switch it again for the third time? A family member had recommended the Alimentum, but the doc suggested soy. I just don't want to keep switching formulas especially if it may not work, not to mention I have cases of soy at home!!

Don't freak and don't switch formulas, yet. Its actually quite normal for some babies to go several days without pooping and its fine unless the baby is very fussy and acting like he/she is in obvious pain. If your baby is ok, don't worry about it.

You can give your baby some water with dark karo syrup or some diluted prune juice. That should help to get things moving.

I've tried the kyro syrup, the prune juice, the extra water, none of that worked. I took a friends advice and put thermometer in his backside slightly in, to hopefully stimulate bowels. I did it last night and again this afternoon. It doesn't seem to have worked.

are you sure he is contipated though? a baby is only constipated when they poop little hard balls. it doesnt really matter how long they go without pooping as long it is still soft when they do go.

No he is not constipated. He isn't passing anything at all. He doesn't seem to be in pain, keeps on eating, plays, sleeps well, but the fact that he goes 6 days, 7 days, and 8 days without bowels...that kinda scares me. Everytime I take him back to the doc, all they do is give him another suppository and send us home. I think he is getting use to that and may have forgot how to go to the bathroom on his own. He is only 4 months old and i'v given him maybe 6 suppositories since he has been born.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsvera
    No he is not constipated. He isn't passing anything at all. He doesn't seem to be in pain, keeps on eating, plays, sleeps well, but the fact that he goes 6 days, 7 days, and 8 days without bowels...that kinda scares me. Everytime I take him back to the doc, all they do is give him another suppository and send us home. I think he is getting use to that and may have forgot how to go to the bathroom on his own. He is only 4 months old and i'v given him maybe 6 suppositories since he has been born.
    yeah thats the thing with suppositories...you can become dependent on them

Okay folks...we are now on day #7....still no poop. Just alot of gas

Check this out regarding color, frequency, and all things relating to baby poop (I know it's immature, but the word "poop" makes me giggle):
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on