Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: best way to wean...

Default best way to wean...

i have a 4 and ahalf lo,and we had our dr appt yesterday,and he discussed adding food soon..he says by 6mo i should begin adding food..i wanted to exclusively bf as long as i can...so any one have any advice about when/how to add food/rice cereal?

Default Re: best way to wean...

The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding the first 6 months. There is really no hurry to start solids, your baby is getting all the nutrition s/he needs from your breastmilk. For the first year, solids are really more for experimentation and playing than nutrition anyway, so like I said- there is no hurry.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You are right to exclusively BF for at least the first six months. Did you look at the Introducing Solids section of this forum? There's lots of discussion about how/when/what. I don't have any advice for you because my LO's 2yrs old and I don't remember, but I noticed your question hadn't got much attention, so I thought I'd redirect you to the Intro Solids section. Hope you find the info you need.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

I agree with pp.. and just because you introduce solids that does not mean that your lo will wean shortly thereafter.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

In the first year, food is primarily for play and experimentation. We found that DS went for a few months (6-9 months) without eating more than a couple of tablespoons a day, so he was almost exclusively bf during that time, then slowly increased the amount he wanted on his own from there.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

heres some info from kelly moms

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html