Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any herbal remedies for a cold?

Default Any herbal remedies for a cold?

I am starting to get a cold. YUCK! I am still breastfeeding my daughter so I refuse to take any medicines that would reduce/stop my milk production. Also I do not want my daughter to get any of the medications either (since I am still breastfeeding). However, I was wondering if there are any herbal remedies (supplements, vitamins, etc.) that I can take to alleviate the symptoms and get rid of this cold before it gets really bad that are OK for a breastfeeding mom.

Any help/suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

Default Re: Any herbal remedies for a cold?

I have read that cinnamon has been used for colds forever. I read where it was called "the universal spice for sinuses" and a treatment for colds, flu, cancer and "inner decay and slime."

Also ginger root is supposed to help with stomach problems, the respiratory system, and head congestion.

HTH and feel better!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Sinus Rinse

I have a cold right now. ugh.

this is what I'm doing (fwiw):
    - good breakfast that's easy on a sore throat (boiled egg/oatmeal/fruit)
    - lots of orange juice to boost by vitamin C (though not too much because citrus overload makes ds fussy)
    - hot water with honey and lemon or tea with honey/lemon (I've one regular cup of tea with honey/lemon, 2 cups of decaf tea with honey/lemon and one hot water with honey/lemon - my throat is killing me, can you tell?)
    - homemade chicken soup - some people don't buy that it works but I swear by it
    - have dh do as much as he can so I don't have to exert any extra energy
    - I have a sliced apple and 2 cinnamon sticks simmering on the stove - the smell helps my stuffiness for some reason
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

garlic tablets, I take 2 everyday (aged garlic). Suppose to "ward off evil colds" Studies have shown garlic really boosts the immune system. Also as the pp said, cinnamon. hope you feel better soon.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Saline drops for the nose are great!!! Honey and Lemon for your throat.. I like making a hot tea!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Depends on my symptoms, as to what I'll use but I'll always boost my vit C and echinacea... regardless and then go from there.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.