Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Messy eater

Default Messy eater

Does anyone else have a messy eater? DS has milk all around his mouth after he eats. Sometimes it's on his clothes as well.

Default Re: Messy eater

Are you talking about BF or bottle feeding? If he is latched well this shouldn't happen.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

my boy is a pretty messy eater too. sometimes when he pauses and pulls off milk goes spraying everywhere! ha! i just put a finger over the nipple until he latches on again and give him a thorough wipe down after he's done. it doesn't happen often, but when it does it goes all over his lips, his cheek and sometimes it creeps down into the folds of his no-neck.
    he is a very good eater and has a great latch, he just pauses and gets a little distracted sometimes, no biggie.

I always used cloth diapers as "burp rags" and placed them strategically to soak up any spills before they got all over me, the baby, or the furniture! I did not use them as diapers, but they are so much better than the other burp rags you'll find.
    When dd was new she would kind of choke sometimes when I let down and pull away, messy. But do keep an eye on proper latch...

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Breastfeeding. As far as I can tell he's latched on properly. He eats so fast and then opens his mouth to catch his breath and milk pours out. LOL

I totally am with you on this one!! My little one eats, and thinks I need to wear it too!! By the time she's done popping on and off looking at me and thinking she's cute, we are both soaked!! I don't mind if she wants to be cute when the initial SPRAY is done...but before that, stay concentrated on what's going on!!! My letdown is what causes most of the problems I'm sure...and since she's become more social, it has only gotten worse.
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

i also wear a lot of milk due to letdown & so does she. like the pp said, especially now that she is such a social eater. we had a great moment today when she pulled off to gaze up at me and milk sprayed all over her face. she was covered, but she didn't care, she just beamed at me and i couldn't help but laugh at how adorable she looked. then she started laughing too and went back to her breakfast. those are the moments when i wish i had a camera handy!

My DS is the same. I have a fast let down and a lot of milk, so he lets some dribble out of his mouth while he eats. I also need a burp cloth during feedings to sop up the dribble and the spraying when he pops off to look around.

Smile Re: Messy eater

Quote Originally Posted by jenne
    My letdown is what causes most of the problems I'm sure...and since she's become more social, it has only gotten worse.
    Yes, once they get social it becomes very interesting to bf.
    SAHW to C and SAHM to my identical boys J & A born 1/7/06 & my little girl K born 8/21/08.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Beth
    I also need a burp cloth during feedings to sop up the dribble and the spraying when he pops off to look around.
    That's what I use. Keeps him from having dried milk all around his mouth later on.