Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Pump

Question Breastfeeding Pump

Any suggestions on a good breast pump reasonable priced. Not sure if I should buy the top of the line or if that is a waste of money. I BF a 7 week totally now however would like to have a breast pump to pump if I need to go out and leave him. My husband gets nervous if I leave, (right after feeding him) and he has no "mommy milk" to give him in case. Any suggestions on a good,reasonable pump. Thanks

Default Re: Breastfeeding Pump

If you are only going to be pumping for an occasional time away from baby you may consider getting a manual pump. I have an Avent Isis and really like it. I found it easy to use, and you can use it anywhere since it doesn't need to be plugged in. Manual pumps are cheaper than electric ones. If you are going to be returning to work and needing to pump more frequently, though, you'd probably be happier with an electric pump.

I too have the Avent Isis and it is great. My work situation is such that I can come home and nurse at lunch, so I take my Isis to bed with us and when DS wakes to nurse at night I pump while he nurses, he still wakes 2-3 times a night (he is 7 weeks) and I get about 7 ounces over night and then I pump at work and I bring home a couple of 4 oz bottles......I am a fill in so I don't work often and it works well for us!!!! Plus they are not very expensive, Medela also makes a good manual although it had a more powerful suck that almost was to much for me. Just my .02 worth

I have an evenflo single electric pump that I got at walmart for about $30.00. I don't do a lot of pumping but it works great for keeping a "just in case" supply in the freezer. HTH

I like my Avent Isis hand pump also, and I want to warn you to STAY AWAY from a cheap hand pump, especially The First Years. The Avent is about $50, cheap compared to electric.
    There are some other threads on this in the Pumping forum with good information.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on