Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting discouraged...I am in pain

Default Getting discouraged...I am in pain

I am still suffering from a lot of engorgement pain. My daughter is 2 weeks old.

Maybe this is normal but it hurts so much. Part of the problem is that she is sleeping 4 sometimes 5 hours. If I pump, I am afraid that my milk supply will increase more than it already is or that she will wake right after I pump.

I feel full about 30 minutes after I do pump and empty. I start feeling uncomfortable again in about an hour.

I am also still having alot of nipple soreness. They are not damaged so her latch should be fine but it hurts when fabric brushes across them. They also just seem to be on fire sometimes.

I had no idea that breastfeeding would be so hard and I hurt so much that I am getting discouraged and feel like giving up. I really do not want to do that.

I am hoping that all this pain is normal for only feeding for 2 weeks and it will pass very soon.

Default Re: Getting discouraged...I am in pain

I think you should nurse your newborn every 2-3 hrs at this point. Many people do need to wake their babies up to nurse. That should help with the engorgement.

I does sound to me that your LO might have a bad latch. BF should not hurt! Just b/c there is no nipple damage does not mean that the latch is good. Do you have LC that you can call? Often times it's a quick fix. They can watch and assist you and your LO with latch and comfortable nursing positions.

Hang in there! It gets much easier!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

i remember going through this with my bb girl last summer. what you are feeling is totally normal. it will get better.

for soreness--try lanolin for your nipples. i applied it before and after each feeding (it is ok for bb to ingest). also-try to get yourself some breast shells-you can find them at Babies r Us or even Target in the bb section. these will keep the rubbing down between your nipples and clothes. just keep in mind that while it is normal to be a sore between feedings in the early weeks, you shouldn't be experiencing pain during feedings. this may signal poor latch.

instead of pumping, can you hand express just enough to relieve some of the pressure? and even if you do pump-don't worry about the bb waking up and not having enough milk--there will still be enough in there.

also--could you feed your little one more frequently during the day? i nursed dd every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day and found she slept a good four-five hour block every night. this would be better for your supply too.

your breasts need a little time to adjust to this new routine. in a few weeks you, your breasts and your bb will all be pros at this and you will be so glad you stuck with nursing. you are doing such a great job. this is the toughest period, but it gets so much better take care.
    Last edited by Maya's Mom; August 10th, 2006 at 10:00 AM.

kellibug,
    I, too, can relate to your story. Do not give up. There is hope. From my personal experience bfing 2 babies, the first few weeks were very challenging to say the least, but it does get better!! It sound so cliché, but you are literally giving your baby a gift that will last a lifetime.
    This is not meant to pressure you, but to tell you that I know how tempting it was to give in to feeling discouraged, especially when there are probably a lot of voices a round you questioning your decision to bf. I had some of those voices in my live also, and still do. You will not find those voices here. We are here to support you.
    Try to stay hopeful. The engorgement should pass as well as the nipple ternderness, but be on the lookout for clogged ducts or damaged nipples. You may also want to check into some info on thrush because you mentioned that you have burning. Engorgement can also make proper latch difficult,, so be vigilant about latch. That is definitely one area where a little prevention goes along way.
    You can do this! Maybe set short term goals, like one more month, or week, or better yet, at least until your baby’s first smile!
    By the way, congratulations on the new baby!!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi. My little guy is 4 weeks and at around the same time, I experienced similar pains. The nurse told me that the first 2 weeks would be the hardest! She was right because after that, we are getting better and better. We still have little issues, but my boobs are feeling a lot better! They are still huge, but block feeding has helped me. (I think thats what its called). Nursing on one side a few times in a row until it is completely empty. The other side gets huge, but it is supposed to help slow your production down a bit. I also use lanolin, which helps with the sensitivity issue. Hope that helps. Be encouraged...

Kellibug, you've gotten some great feedback here and I just want to chime in with some support. Yes; BF is hard. It is a learned skill - for both you and your new baby. And yes, it DOES hurt for the first bit of time -- how long varies from woman to woman and is dependent on a number of factors. Getting the latch right as early as possible is very important. Is there anyone in your area - an LC that works with your hospital or a local LLL leader you can call to get some in-person help? Even one visit/session can help address if there are obvious problems with baby's latch. Using lansinoh after every feeding is a great idea and will help keep your nipples soft and help them heal if they are getting cracked. Waking your LO every 2-3 hours to feed really is a good idea in the first week or so - and will help regulate your milk supply and will offer relief. If you are having discomfort from feeling full in addition to that schedule, you can use warm compresses (and alternate with cool ones in the early days) and massage and hand express out milk to help relieve pressure. You don't stimulate a letdown/new milk production this way, but do just give yourself some comfort.

If you can hang in there, do. You have the milk supply to offer your baby the absolute best possible start in life - and that's tremendous. The pain WILL get better. It may take a few weeks - especially if you have gotten bruised with a bad latch, but you CAN do this and you'll be glad you did.

Do try to get some in-person guidance, if you can!! Keep us posted....
    -linda

I remember having pain when fabric would brush accross my nipples too. The bath towel was awful. I had thrush but didn't realize it for a couple weeks. Do you have a burning sensation when you nurse? I'd have a lactation consultant look at them. Although you may not notice any problem just by looking at them. If you have thrush, your baby may have symptoms too- white patches in the mouth. But she might not have symptoms. If you have thrush, you can get medicine to treat it. I used All Purpose Nipple Ointment. It's a compounded perscription and it really helped with the pain. I also used gentian violet, then grapefruit seed extract, finally flucanazole.

It might not be thrush but when I read the comment about the fabric, it made me think of that.

Thanks for the advice girls. It sounds like what I am feeling is normal and that it will get easier. I feel better knowing that others have felt like this too.

Sometimes it is impossible to wake up Kathryn but during today I am trying to wake her every 2-3 hours.

As for my nipple pain, I think I will call the LC at the hospital to make an appt just to make sure that everything is going ok. My nipples look great and lansinoh is my new best friend. There is just a little nipple pain when she first latches on but the soreness is mostly after I am done nursing.

I think a LC can help to rule out any problems.

Thank you all for letting me know that this is normal and giving me hope that I can do this!!

Just a quick note about pumping: If you are in pain and need to pump, but are worried about increasing your supply, just pump for about 30 to 45 seconds, just to take the edge off. A breast that is emptied sends signals to start refilling, but a breast that is still full won't send those signals, so you can get relief but you won't start a cycle of oversupply. Best of luck & congrats on your little one!

Hang in there! The first two weeks are the hardest, but it does get better. It just takes one day at a time. When you think you are ready to give up, just give it one more day. You'll be so happy you did.