Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not able to pump hardly any out!

Default Not able to pump hardly any out!

I have definately increased my supply, but now I seem to have a problem getting it out! I rented a hospital grade pump and still can only get a few "beads" of milk out. I can manually express some, but my aim is not good enough to catch it in some kind of container.

My daughter's interest in nursing waxes and wanes.....right now she just wants to have my nipple in her mouth while she "talks" to me. She does not want to nurse, but she does not want the nipple taken out of her mouth either! I need to be able to pump since I work full time. I can not nurse her all day, so I can not take the bottles away.

How do I get her to know that she can have my milk straight from the tap and the bottle also? How do I get the pump to do it's job? I never had a problem pumping milk with my son or when I was breastfeeding my daughter previously! I feel like my boobs are going to pop right now!

Shanda

Default Re: Not able to pump hardly any out!

What kind of pump do you have? The major problem that I've had is that the standard size sheilds are too small. According to my IBCLC that is very common. Does pumping hurt? Do you see flecks of skin on the sheild? Can your nipple move freely? A lot of times, women need the large or XL size shield once the milk comes in. I need evern bigger than that without the milk (I'm still in the relactating process).

Try a nipple shield when you're nursing your daughter. Since she is used to bottles, that might be a big help.

If you're not already, talk with a IBCLC. They can fit you for bigger (or smaller) shields.

Good luck!

I think the shields may be too small...I ordered a bigger size. During my lunch break I went to get new bras....up to a 36 D now! I am using an Ameda. I think it is an egnell elite? I did manage to get more milk out at lunch...maybe about 1/8 of an ounce total. I actually got some into the bottle...so maybe it was just a question of my milk coming back in enough for the pump to work. My daughter balks at the nipple shield. This is strange because she is not peticular about bottle nipples...she will take anything from a regular evenflo, evenflo comfi, and just this last week we tried the avent bottles. She likes her bottles with any type of nipple...if I could only get her interested in mine again!

Shanda

I was using an ameda too (not the hospital grade one) and they are great pumps. The bigger shields might make a difference.

This might sound strange, but have you tried using a bottle nipple over yours? I've heard that can work...

Or a suggestion from my IBCLC was this... Place the bottle under your armpit and latch the baby on to it, let them get some milk and then transfer them over to the breast with a nipple shield. It'll take a few tries to do it smoothly but for some babies it works.

Another idea is to try feeing her from a cup instead of a bottle. I understand that you work full time and can't just stay home and nurse her for days at a time. But you can feed her from a sippy cup or even with a syringe. The whole idea is that babies have a natural reflex to suck and if you remove all objects that they can get their 'fix' on (bottles, pacifiers, etc.) than you might have an easier time getting them to the breast.

And hey, as long as she doesn't reject the breast, go with the flow! My DS laughs at my nipple but I just keep trying...

Is she getting formula currently? If so, maybe an SNS will help you too. That way she can get her formula while sucking at the breast.

Good luck!