Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation where to start?

Question Relactation where to start?

Hi, I just want to say thank you in advance.
    My LO will be 4 months old in a couple of days. He was 9 weeks old when I got the merina IUD, 2 days after that AF came and my milk went. LO was pretty much EB up till this point. I had to start supplementing due to my LO's failure to gain weight at this point. I started pumping and at this point would only get about 2 oz. I was getting 4 or more before this. Well it has been well over a month since I last pumped. I still nurse my LO to sleep at night and early morning sometimes. he's not getting much I know but I think its a comfort thing for him and me.
    Well I'm ready to rebuild my supply, Lets see I have
    Reglan and Dom
    mothers Milk tea
    Fenugreek
    Blessed thistle
    Oatmeal, Brewers yeast
    and a medela single electric pump (going to rent a double in a couple of days)

I'm just at a loss for where to begin and how
    How much med's which one is better?
    how often to pump and nurse or do I do both?

I pumped once today and to my surprise I pumped 1 oz.
    So Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Relactation where to start?

That is great that you pumped so much! I really think this will be a piece of cake for you since you have the herbs, meds, and are getting a hospital grade pump. You are really already lactating and just are really getting your supply back up rather than relactating. That is what a LC told me. I am pretty much in the same position as you. Keep us posted how you are doing. Since your baby is nursing already and at the breast at times, you have a great head start. I wish you well! Be sure though to keep us posted. It encourages us here.
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Have you considered having the mirena IUD removed? I believe it releases a hormone. Some hormonal methods of contraception can interfere with milk supply.

Just a thought...
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post
    Have you considered having the mirena IUD removed? I believe it releases a hormone. Some hormonal methods of contraception can interfere with milk supply.

Just a thought...
    Yes, I had it removed today ( My DR. assured me it would not interfere with my breastfeeding and trusting my Dr. I took her word for it) After Many days of reading and searching I found on Dr. Jack Newman's Site that the merina can really effect milk supply . I had no Idea, But wasted no time getting it out. I also had many other adverse side effects from it anyway.

Unhappy Re: Relactation where to start?

Hi there....I am new on this forum and joined just because i am starting to relactate and i am completely at loss. My baby is 5 months old and was EBF till she was 2 months....then because of no weight gain i started to supplement as well and gradually her intake of fomula increased ( definitely my fault that i actually promoted it at times for my own convenience i lost my milk...since last one month she is completely bottle fed. Now I am trying to get her back to breast milk and rented a pump, getting fenugreek and blessed thistle tomorrow and domperidon in 2 weeks. yesterday i pumped and got just may be 2 tsp and same today. I dont understand if I have to keep pumping even when I can see no milk coming out for sometime? should i stop in 10-15 minutes or pump longer? How long should one pump when just few drops are coming?......please help ladies.....I am in a mess....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ankita View Post
    Hi there....I am new on this forum and joined just because i am starting to relactate and i am completely at loss. My baby is 5 months old and was EBF till she was 2 months....then because of no weight gain i started to supplement as well and gradually her intake of fomula increased ( definitely my fault that i actually promoted it at times for my own convenience i lost my milk...since last one month she is completely bottle fed. Now I am trying to get her back to breast milk and rented a pump, getting fenugreek and blessed thistle tomorrow and domperidon in 2 weeks. yesterday i pumped and got just may be 2 tsp and same today. I dont understand if I have to keep pumping even when I can see no milk coming out for sometime? should i stop in 10-15 minutes or pump longer? How long should one pump when just few drops are coming?......please help ladies.....I am in a mess....
    I'm glad you're here!

Two tsp. is great! Pumping for 15 minutes sounds about right. It is important to pump even though you see no milk coming out. You're working on stimulating your breasts, sending them the message that you want them to produce milk, so it does not matter if they are producing milk at that moment, you just want to keep sending the message!

Have you checked out Dr. Jack Newman's website: inducing lactation and the asklenore website: ask lenore? You might find them helpful.

We are here for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Hi....Thanx so much for the guidance and support,,,,a couple of tsp of milk was quite disheartening.....but thanx for your message....i have some enthu back.....will keep posting...