Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just starting induced lactation

Question Just starting induced lactation

Dear ladies,

I have just started trying to induce lactation. I nursed my son for a year but it's been 8 years since I stopped and now plan on adopting a newborn in the New Year.

My doctor won't go for the Newman Farb protocol using the birth control pills but is supportive of me trying with the Reglan and herbs. I started last Friday with the Reglan and was able to pump 3 times a day over the weekend (we went out of town to visit friends). On Monday I found a store that sold the FenuGreek and Blessed Thistle and am taking 2 caplets of each 3x a day along with the 10mg of Reglan (4x a day). I have been pumping using a Medela Pump in Style that I still have from when I had my son 9 years ago and returned to work. Back then I was able to produce a lot of milk for him. So far I have not even produced a clear droplet since I started this last Friday. Is it too soon to expect anything yet and if so how long before I should start seeing any results? It may be my imagination but I do think my breasts at least feel a little fuller but as I said, not even a clear fluid.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also I would love to know other people's experience with how long it might be before I see any results so that I don't get discouraged.

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Just starting induced lactation

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sandk.mom View Post
    Dear ladies,

I have just started trying to induce lactation. I nursed my son for a year but it's been 8 years since I stopped and now plan on adopting a newborn in the New Year.

My doctor won't go for the Newman Farb protocol using the birth control pills but is supportive of me trying with the Reglan and herbs. I started last Friday with the Reglan and was able to pump 3 times a day over the weekend (we went out of town to visit friends). On Monday I found a store that sold the FenuGreek and Blessed Thistle and am taking 2 caplets of each 3x a day along with the 10mg of Reglan (4x a day). I have been pumping using a Medela Pump in Style that I still have from when I had my son 9 years ago and returned to work. Back then I was able to produce a lot of milk for him. So far I have not even produced a clear droplet since I started this last Friday. Is it too soon to expect anything yet and if so how long before I should start seeing any results? It may be my imagination but I do think my breasts at least feel a little fuller but as I said, not even a clear fluid.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also I would love to know other people's experience with how long it might be before I see any results so that I don't get discouraged.

Thank you in advance
    I'm excited that you're adopting a newborn!

One recommendation I have is to rent a hospital grade pump. It will be more effective than your Pump In Style.

Good luck! What a lucky baby will be joining your family.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Default Re: Just starting induced lactation

Welcome! Sounds awesome that you are adopting a newborn & especially that you want to bf!

Don't discouraged, sometimes these things take time. I would definitely rent a hopsital grade pump & if you arent able to do that at least make sure all the parts that may need replacing are replaced... that could also make a difference.