Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drinking from a cup - when to start?

Default drinking from a cup - when to start?

DS is 5 months old and is on a breastmilk only diet, either nursing or from a bottle. Lately I've been reading in a couple of our development books about introducing a cup. I don't know but 5 months seems early for that. DS is still learning to sit up himself, for one thing. Also it seems like if he starts drinking from a cup then he would get frustrated by the "slowness" of nursing and the Medela bottles we use. Am I way off base on wanting to wait to introduce a cup?

I'm not ready to start solids yet but last night did give him a little tiny taste of banana that I smashed up real good between my fingers. He spit it back out at first, (I think) indicating that his thrust reflex isn't ready for a regular routine of solids yet. Is it ok that I tried a tiny taste though?

I appreciate the advice!
    tsoberdas
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Default Re: drinking from a cup - when to start?

You can start the cup whenever. Trust me, your child will not wean from you because of the flow from the cup. At this point, your child will likely prefer you always.

That said, do what feels right for you. There also is no reason you need to start a cup now, either. One thing I've learned about parenting....there are always "experts" out there telling you how you should raise your child. You need to do what feels right for you.

I have heard that you should first start trying a cup at 6 mo, but a sippy can be introed as early as 3 mo. Most moms who start a sippy early do so to try to avoid nipple confusion from using bottles. Problem is, sippies aren't all that good either, since overuse can lead to speech delays. Ds started using a sippy at 4 mo, mostly to play with. He never really liked it. He always wanted to use a real cup. Probably from 6 mo or so he could take tiny sips from a real cup if someone was holding it for him. At 15 mo he learned to hold it himself and I would say he has totally mastered using a real cup. He still uses a sippy from time to time, but he MUCH prefers the real cup and so do I.

Bottles and sippies imo are mostly for convienience and no child really ever needs to learn to use either; it is far preferable to transition eventually straight from the breast to the regular cup. However, just because a child is drinking from a regular cup does NOT mean it's time to wean from the breast, lol! Ds shows absolutely no signs of wanting to stop bf; he just likes to drink his water and occasional juice from a real cup like a big boy.

Hmmm... So it sounds like DS is the right age range to try a sippy cup or real cup. Should it only contain breastmilk, or water? I don't want to have him have juice yet.

(Oh we new mommies and all these questions!)
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

I'd personally use only breast milk. And you're definitely correct with no juice (which is mostly sugar ... see Guidelines for offering juice to babies). See more info on water here ... Offering water to breastfed babies, which states:

For babies past the newborn stage

Too much water can interfere with breastfeeding because it fills baby up so that he nurses less. Babies need the nutrition and calories in breastmilk to grow - water has none of these.

Breastmilk has all the water your baby needs, even in very hot weather.
    When your 4-6 month old baby is learning to use a cup, giving him a few sips of water a couple of times a day (no more than 2 ounces per 24 hours) is fine and fun.

Once baby starts solids, you might want to give him a few sips of expressed milk or water with his solids - some babies need this to prevent constipation.

Oh, and even us "not as new" mommies have lots of questions when it comes to our little ones!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by tsoberdas
    Hmmm... So it sounds like DS is the right age range to try a sippy cup or real cup. Should it only contain breastmilk, or water? I don't want to have him have juice yet.

(Oh we new mommies and all these questions!)
    Definatley not juice yet. You are a smart momy. I personally used water in the sippy because I dind't want any breastmilk to be wasted. I did offer small amounts of breastmilk in the real cup, since I had more control of that one and he had a much easier time actually drinking it (as upposed to just playing with the sippy). Kellymom says babies 4-6 mo of age should not drink more than 2 oz of water in 24 hours as it can mess up thier electrolite ballance and also start to displace breastmilk if they get more than that. Ds never even drank 2 oz of water in one day until he was about 11 mo when he started drinking about 4-6 oz of water per day (his idea, not mine). The main thing to remember is a little water won't hurt him, but too much can. Hope this helps.