Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Induced Lactation with Twins?

Question Induced Lactation with Twins?

Hi

I am currently expecting Twins through surrogacy and would really like to breastfeed them.

I am on the Goldfarb-Newman Protocol (20mg Domperidone 4xdaily and Blessed thistle and Fenugreek 3xdaily with food and pumping about everyhtree hours) but even though I have been pumping for the last five weeks I can only get about four ounces per day.

I have to admit - I am in a busy job so have missed one or two sessions of pumping most days.

Has anyone out there successfully breast fed twins this way? Any tips oh how I can do better?

Sabreena

Default Re: Induced Lactation with Twins?

I met a lady who did do this. I found her at the Mother Love web-site. The site that sells the herbs. There is a testimonial section. I saw the picture of the woman with twins and wrote Mother Love for her e-mail address. I then e-mailed her and she wrote back telling me about her experience. The reason I wrote her was because my twins were stuck on the SNS. I noticed in the picture that the lady was nursing with the SNS and wondered if she ever got her adoptive twins off of it. She did lactate for her twins and did get them off of the SNS. I think she went on to nurse her twins for 2 yrs. Try checking the web-site out and see if you can contact this gal. Let me know how it goes. I would like to get in contact again with her. She was pretty inspiring. I wish you well!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sabreena View Post
    Hi

I am currently expecting Twins through surrogacy and would really like to breastfeed them.

I am on the Goldfarb-Newman Protocol (20mg Domperidone 4xdaily and Blessed thistle and Fenugreek 3xdaily with food and pumping about everyhtree hours) but even though I have been pumping for the last five weeks I can only get about four ounces per day.

I have to admit - I am in a busy job so have missed one or two sessions of pumping most days.

Has anyone out there successfully breast fed twins this way? Any tips oh how I can do better?

Sabreena
    Congratulations on the twins you are expecting and I'm glad you're here.

You've been working hard to induce lactation and it is great that you're getting four ounces a day! Your babies will benefit from every ounce you're able to give them.

It seems to me that you are following a good protocol. The one thing I want to make sure of is that you are using a hospital grade rental pump. If not, LLL recommends using one.

You said that your job is busy and you find that you miss one or two pumping sessions each work day. When do you plan to leave your job? Will you wait until the babies are born or do you plan to stop work on a specific date? If you are able to pick a date to stop work, and can make that date sometime before the babies are expected, then you can stick to your pumping schedule without your job's demands.

With my first baby, I had a busy, stressful job. I was concerned about leaving my job prematurely. I believed I could work until my due date and then be ready for the baby. In retrospect, I believe I could have left my job a few weeks earlier. It was the last time in my life (for at least 18 years or so) that I would be able to focus solely on myself. I wished I had taken that time to just be, rather than putting my job as a higher priority than giving myself time.

That said, as we say at every LLL meeting, take what makes sense to you and leave the rest behind.

I hope some other mothers will jump in to offer their experience with inducing lactation for twins!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Hi there,

I was wondering how long it took you to see any kind of fluid from your breast? I'm taking Reglan, FenuGreek and Blessed Thistle but not the birth control pills (Dr. wouldn't let me). Been pumping 4 times a day for 6 days now and not even getting clear fluid from my breasts. Nothing. Please let me know what your experience was/is - I would be thrilled to be getting four ounces

Thank you,
    Suzanne

Hi There Guys

Thanks for those responses

I am now off work and the gilrs are due in under a week!! So I am pumping like crazy and have reached the 7 oz mark. Though I have been on that for a week and a half as work got even busier and I was pumping only twice a day some times!

I have a hospital grade pump- I got one as soon as I decided to do this.

Suzanne, a friend of mine did it the saem way you are and it took her ages to get milk. but she did eventually and only failed to feed properly as her health visitor was not very suppportive! I got streaks of milk the first time I pumped and have slowly but surely progressed.

Its good to look back and see less than a month ago I was on four ounces. It just worries me when I see people producin 17 ounces and a friend of mine was on 32 oz a day! before her baby arrived.

Will it improve with the babies latched on?

wow will you be able to be there at the babies birth?
    IT sounds like you've got a great start.
    once they are at the breast the babies will do the work...

have you talked to your local leader?
    she would be able to help beter then we can online!

Good luck with the birth!

You are an amazing mama! Congratulations on your lactation success and best wishes with your precious bundles!
    2001 2004 2008