Thread: Sos Asap

Default Sos Asap

Here's my stats:
    4 month old lo
    EBF
    Been back to work since Sept 2nd.
    I pump once in the am after I feed her
    I pump 2 more times at work
    lo was taking 4oz, have started pumping 5oz in the past week and a half or so
    She is bf in the evening

The past 2 days that I have been at work I haven't been able to pump enough for her bottles for the next day. She does 3 bottles while with the sitter so I pump a bottle at each sitting. This morning I pumped for 15min + and didn't even get 4oz (that was after going all night without feeding her). Then at lunch I got under 4oz and then just now I pumped for 20 minutes and only go 3 oz. I am sure there is milk in there!!! Up til now I have been able to get 5oz at each sitting.

I was wondering if possibly I need to change the membrane on my pump???? I don't know how you know to change them (don't know what their function is either???)

I have a cold (Started yesterday) could that be it???

Any suggestions?????

Default Re: Sos Asap

It could be the cold. I would always check the membranes, but does the pumping feel normal with just a decrease in output? I would certainly start eating some oatmeal and other foods/etc that can help with milk produciton (mother's milk tea etc.).

You could and may want to consider adding another session during the day if possible to help increase production?

Good Luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

What pump are you using? Maybe renting a hospital grade pump from your hospital or LC would help. Just a thought.
    Married my love on 7/3/2004
    Blessed with Isabella Grace on 5/20/2008
    Back to work on 7/22/2008

& since 5/20/2008
    No formula!

Goals:

1 month 2 months 3 months 4 months 5 months 6 months 7 months 8 months 9 months 10 months 11 months 12 months

Default Re: previous posts

I am using the Medela PIS. I was very sore the first 10 days or so of work from pumping. It doesn't seem to hurt as much, but I figured I was just "toughening up."

I am going to add another pumping session today, but I was hoping to avoid that. My breats feel full, that is why I am wondering if it's the pump.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Any one have more suggestions?

Are you taking any meds for your cold? If so, what kind? That could affect your output.
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Replacing the valves and membranes is always a good idea. You can pick them up at Babies R Us and they are pretty cheap. I also had to use a hospital grade pump because the others didn't work as well for me.

Every day my supply changes...some days I get 12 oz when I am at work and some days I get 6. It is frustrating and it sucks but try not to get stressed because that can affect output too.

I also added pumping sessions, sometimes even during the middle of the night when he slept. The more you pump the more your body will make.

And of course there are all of the galactagogues. I eat oatmeal (real oatmeal not instant) every morning, take fenugreek and alfalfa for supply and fennel to help with the letdown (a lot of times your body will stop responding to the pump)

Good luck with everything mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

change membranes, eat oatmeal, drink lots of water....

also have you gotten AF back yet, I was back at work about 2 weeks, had a dip in supply, freaked out, and then 3-5 days later AF happened, after AF my supply bounced right back....HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

You women are truely amazing. Thank you so much for all the ideas and suggestions. I haven't gotten AF back yet, its funny because I have been feeling kind of PMSish lately and wondered about when I would finally get that.

Where can I get those supplements that were mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loving-motherhood View Post
    I get mine at a farmers market type store...kind if like a whole foods but smaller. I know whole foods has them, and trader joes if you have those where you live. You can also order them online but I am sure that you can find them somewhere close to you.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loving-motherhood View Post
    You women are truely amazing. Thank you so much for all the ideas and suggestions. I haven't gotten AF back yet, its funny because I have been feeling kind of PMSish lately and wondered about when I would finally get that.

for the tea, call around and ask if stores carry Traditional medicinals (s/p) but i agree health food stores or whole foods/trader joes will prob all have it HTH
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07